Ban condemns Ahmadinejad’s anti-Israel statementAugust 18th, 2012 - 6:05 pm ICT by IANS
United Nations, Aug 18 (IANS/RIA Novosti) UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has condemned Iranian leader Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s anti-Israeli statements.
“The secretary-general is dismayed by the remarks threatening Israel’s existence attributed over the last two days to the Supreme Leader and the President of the Islamic Republic of Iran. The secretary general condemns these offensive and inflammatory statements,” the UN said.
“The secretary-general believes that all leaders in the region should use their voices at this time to lower, rather than to escalate, tensions. In accordance with the UN Charter, all members must refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state,” it said.
Ahmadinejad said Friday that “denying the existence of Israel and confronting Zionists really meant defending rights of all human beings and respecting the dignity of nations” and that “the existence of the Zionist regime is an insult to humankind”.
He also said “confronting Zionists will also pave the way for saving the whole humankind from exploitation, depravity and misery”, as cited by the IRNA news agency.
- UN chief urges global ban on n-tests - Aug 30, 2011
- Israel criticises Palestinian president's UN speech - Sep 24, 2011
- Abbas to submit UN bid after General Assembly address - Sep 23, 2011
- Russia urges new UN envoy to stick to Syria peace plan - Aug 18, 2012
- Israel calls for elections to replace Palestinian leader - Aug 23, 2012
- UN chief discusses Libya with regional organisations - Aug 27, 2011
- Syria situation remains serious: UN chief - May 26, 2012
- EU condemns attacks on Israeli diplomats - Feb 14, 2012
- UN extends peacekeeping mission in Lebanon - Aug 31, 2012
- Russia condemns Iraq terror attacks - Aug 16, 2011
- Iranian president targets the West in UN speech - Sep 23, 2011
- UN chief concerned over conviction of Ukraine's ex-PM - Oct 12, 2011
- Russia warns citizens not to travel to Syria - Jun 21, 2012
- Russia criticises UN chief's defence of Libya action - Dec 23, 2011
- Syrian president ready for constitutional referendum - Feb 08, 2012
Tags: ban ki moon, depravity, dg, human beings, inflammatory statements, insult, iranian leader, irna news agency, islamic republic of iran, israeli statements, mahmoud ahmadinejad, political independence, republic of iran, ria novosti, supreme leader, territorial integrity, un secretary general, use of force, zionist regime, zionists