Bali bomb-maker jailed for 20 yearsJune 21st, 2012 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, June 21 (IANS) An Indonesian court Thursday sentenced the chief explosives maker for the 2002 Bali bombings - that killed 202 people - to 20 years in prison, BBC reported.
Umar Patek, 45, was facing six charges, several of which were terrorism-related.
He admitted helping mix chemicals for the bombs, but said he was not involved in the attack. The trial began in February.
Prosecutors had asked for a life sentence.
The Bali attacks targeted Paddy’s Bar and the Sari Club in Kuta. Those killed were from 21 countries, including 88 Australians, 38 Indonesians and 28 Britons.
The bombings were blamed on the Jemaah Islamiah militant network.
Three men - Imam Samudra, Amrozi Nurhasyim and Ali Ghufron - were executed in November 2008 for playing key roles in the attacks.
Two others, alleged attack planner Dulmatin and bomb-maker Azahari Husin, were killed in raids in 2010 and 2005 respectively. Another suspect Hambali alias Riduan Isamuddin is being held in Guantanamo Bay.
Patek was arrested in January 2011 in Abbottabad, the Pakistani town where Osama bin Laden was killed. He was extradited to Indonesia in August 2011.
Judges read the charges and a summary of witness testimony before delivering the verdict.
Patek was also accused of preparing bombs for attacks on churches in Jakarta on Christmas Eve 2000.
- Bali bombing suspect arrives in Indonesia - Aug 11, 2011
- Indonesian President admits Bali bomber killed in Jakarta raid - Mar 10, 2010
- Pakistan to hand over Bali bombing suspect to Indonesia - Aug 10, 2011
- Indonesia sends police to confirm Bali bomb terrorist arrest in Pakistan - Mar 30, 2011
- Al Qaeda-linked terrorist held in Malaysia - Jun 11, 2011
- Bali bombing victims families dissatisfied by execution - Nov 09, 2008
- Bali bombings mastermind set to escape trial due to lack of evidence - Aug 29, 2009
- Aussie travel warning for Indonesia following arrest of Bali bombing suspect in Pak - Apr 01, 2011
- Indonesia executes three Bali bombers (Lead) - Nov 09, 2008
- ISI claims credit for arrest of 2002 Bali bombings suspect in Pakistan - Mar 31, 2011
- Bali bombers lose appeal against firing squad - Oct 21, 2008
- Bali bombmaker dead, confirms Indonesian president - Mar 10, 2010
- Indonesian terrorist pens jihad preaching tome - Mar 16, 2009
- International terrorist - Bali bomber - Noordin Top arrested - Aug 07, 2009
- Indonesian hardline Muslim cleric arrested - Aug 09, 2010
Tags: alleged attack, amrozi, australians, bali bomb, bali bombings, britons, christmas eve, dulmatin, explosives, guantanamo bay, indonesian court, indonesians, jakarta, jemaah islamiah, life sentence, osama bin laden, prosecutors, sari club, three men, witness testimony