Balco power plant chimney collapse probe beginsNovember 4th, 2009 - 12:20 am ICT by IANS
Raipur, Nov 3 (IANS) A single-member judicial commission Tuesday began its probe into the Sep 23 accident at the under-construction Balco power plant when a chimney collapsed, killing 41 contract workers.
Sandeep Bakhshi, the district and sessions court judge who is probing the tragedy, told reporters at Korba town - the site of the plant, some 250 km from here - that the commission was tasked to conduct its inquiry on six points and would submit its report to the government in a period of three months.
He said the commission will comprehensively probe the tragedy and will do its job in “transparent and fair manner”.
Vedanta Resources Plc-controlled Balco, in which the Indian government holds a 49 percent stake, had awarded a Chinese firm, Shandong Electric Power Construction Corporation (SEPCO), the task of constructing two thermal power plants of 600 MW each at Korba. Later, SEPCO outsourced the work of construction of a 257-metre chimney to Gannon Dunkerley and Company Ltd (GDCL).
Korba police registered a case against Balco soon after the accident and arrested GDCL project manager Manoj Sharma Oct 7 on charges of several lapses, including using sub-standard material for the chimney’s construction.
Police also interrogated about 20 Chinese engineers employed by SEPCO at Korba late last month but are yet to make any arrest.
- Balco vice president arrested for power plant tragedy - Nov 17, 2009
- Chhattisgarh suspends official for Balco accident - Nov 19, 2009
- Balco mishap Chhattisgarh's worst industrial tragedy (Lead) - Jan 15, 2010
- Chhattisgarh appoints judge to probe Balco accident - Oct 14, 2009
- Balco chimney crash: Court rejects bail of Chinese engineers - Mar 12, 2010
- Chinese engineers bail plea hearing on March 8 - Feb 24, 2010
- Construction firm official arrested in Balco accident (Lead) - Oct 07, 2009
- Three Chinese engineers arrested in Balco chimney crash case - Jan 12, 2010
- 3 Chinese engineers arrested in Chhattisgarh, hospitalised - Jan 12, 2010
- Bail denied to 3 Chinese nationals for Balco mishap (Lead) - Jan 18, 2010
- Balco officials sent to judicial custody (Lead) - Nov 17, 2009
- Bail hearing of arrested Chinese engineers deferred - Jan 13, 2010
- 3 arrested Chinese engineers hospitalised in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Jan 12, 2010
- Balco chimney toll rises to 45, Chinese employees flee (Lead) - Sep 26, 2009
- Chinese engineers' bail hearing put off till Jan 18 (Lead) - Jan 13, 2010
Tags: chimney, chinese engineers, chinese firm, collapse, construction corporation, contract workers, court judge, dunkerley, gannon, indian government, judicial commission, lapses, oct 7, power construction, power plant, raipur, sessions court, shandong, six points, thermal power plants