Bal Thackeray demands Bharat Ratna for Big BOctober 29th, 2011 - 1:31 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 29 (IANS) Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray Saturday demanded that the country’s highest civilian honour, the Bharat Ratna, be conferred on Amitabh Bachchan.
“Amitabh Bachchan is the last ‘Shahenshah’ (emperor) of Bollywood. In many countries of the world, the people don’t know who is the president or prime minister of the country, but they know Bachchan,” Thackeray said in an editorial in the party mouthpiece Saamna.
“He is a real jewel of India who has brought laurels to the country…Bachchan truly deserves the Bharat Ratna,” Thackeray said.
Praising various qualities of the megastar, he pointed out that some time ago, another Bharat Ratna, singer Lata Mangeshkar, had also suggested Bachchan’s name for the honour.
Bachchan is “as deserving as Sachin Tendulkar for the Bharat Ratna,” but the central government and the Congress has ignored it in view of strained relations between the Bachchan and the Gandhi family, Thackeray said.
Thackeray referred to the smear campaigns against Bachchan as recently someone used a fake Twitter account in the actor’s name, tweeting malicious statements against the Shah Rukh Khan starrer “Ra.One”.
Actress Sayali Bhagat hurled allegations of misbehaviour at Bachchan, but she now denied it, the Shiv Sena chief said.
“Who is this ‘Ravana’ behind these slander campaigns against a respected person like Bachchan? This should be probed,” Thackeray demanded, without naming anybody.
Thackeray’s comments assume significance in view of the ongoing Marathis versus north-Indians debate here that has been kicked off by city Congress MP Sanjay Nirupam.
“We are not a burden on Mumbai,” the MP said Oct 24 adding, “If north Indians take a single day off, Mumbai will be practically paralysed.”
- Maharashtra 'netas' play politics over Little Master - Apr 27, 2012
- Raj Thackeray promises post-Diwali 'fireworks' for Nirupam - Oct 29, 2011
- Tendulkar's nomination Congress' dirtiest trick: Thackeray - Apr 29, 2012
- Sachin most deserving person for Bharat Ratna: Asha Bhosle - Nov 01, 2011
- Mumbai Congress MP Nirupam stirs hornet's nest - Oct 24, 2011
- Mumbaikars' mixed reactions to Sachin's Rajya Sabha nomination - Apr 26, 2012
- Raj Thackeray warns of riots over anti-Marathi remarks - Nov 03, 2011
- Uddhav again demands permit system for Bihari migrants - Sep 04, 2012
- Congress MP dares Uddhav, Raj to give up security - Oct 27, 2011
- Thackeray hits back at Ajit Pawar for letting off 'gas' - Jun 01, 2011
- Thackeray supports Pranab for presidency - Jun 19, 2012
- Sushma Swaraj would make a dashing prime minister: Bal Thackeray - Sep 09, 2012
- Shiv Sena pitches in for Pranab Mukherjee for president (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Seal Link row: Thackeray blasts Congress 'immaturity' - Mar 27, 2010
- Learn from Amitabh Bachchan, Shiv Sena tells Shah Rukh Khan - Jan 30, 2010
Tags: amitabh bachchan, bal thackeray, bharat ratna, central government, countries of the world, jewel of india, lata mangeshkar, laurels, malicious statements, megastar, misbehaviour, mouthpiece, ravana, real jewel, sanjay, shah rukh khan, single day, smear campaigns, strained relations, tendulkar