Bajrangi said he felt like Rana Pratap after Naroda killingsAugust 29th, 2012 - 3:42 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, Aug 29 (IANS) Babu Bajrangi, the Bajrang Dal leader convicted by a Gujarat court Wednesday in the massacre of 97 Muslims in the Naroda Patiya case, had been boastful of his role in inciting the riotous mob to kill, saying he felt he had “done something like Maharana Pratap”.
In a sting operation by Tehelka in 2007, Bajrangi had boasted of how he had collected bombs and guns and mobilised a group to massacre the Muslims in the Ahmedabad locality on Feb 28, 2002.
His reason: anger over the burning to death of 59 kar sewaks in the Sabarmati Express at Godhra station on Feb 27.
“I could not bear what I saw… The next day, we gave them a fitting reply,” he told Tehelka.
Asked by the Tehelka reporter if he was present during the killings, Bajrangi said: “Yes, yes, I was with them… So the Godhra incident happened and after what I saw, I just came back to Naroda and we took revenge.”
Bajrangi took the mob through Naroda Patiya and Naroda Gaon, peopled mostly by Muslims. Most of those killed were either hacked or chased into a huge pit and set on fire.
“I came back after I killed them, called up the home minister and went to sleep… I felt like Rana Pratap, that I had done something like Maharana Pratap… I’d heard stories about him, but that day I myself did what he did.”
Maharana Pratap was a 16th century Hindu Rajput ruler of Mewar in Rajasthan who fought against the Muslim invaders to protect his kingdom.
Bajrangi and former BJP minister Mayaben Kodnani are among the 32 people convicted in the massacre, one of the worst instances of mob killing during the 2002 riots in which 1,000 people, mostly Muslims, were killed.
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister among 32 convicted (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister Kodnani, 31 convicted (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- BJP lawmaker, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya killings - Aug 31, 2012
- Government cannot be linked to 2002 massacre: Gujarat - Aug 29, 2012
- BJP downplays ex-Gujarat minister's conviction - Aug 29, 2012
- Naroda witnesses happy with court verdict (With Image) - Aug 29, 2012
- 32 convicted in Naroda Patiya massacre - Aug 29, 2012
- Minister's involvement only with Modi's consent: Congress on Naroda - Aug 29, 2012
- BJP legislator, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya carnage (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Gujarat riot victims hail life terms for accused - Aug 31, 2012
- Riot accused gets more time to reply to lawyer's charge - Jun 26, 2010
- Gujarat riots: Plea to cancel bail of accused admitted - Aug 16, 2010
- Kodnani conviction shows rule of law in Gujarat: BJP - Sep 01, 2012
- BJP mum on Maya Kodnani's sentence - Aug 31, 2012
- NGO files plea before Gujarat riots commission - May 14, 2010
Tags: 16th century, babu bajrangi, bajrang dal, bombs and guns, gujarat, hindu rajput, home minister, killings, locality, maharana pratap, mewar, mob, muslim invaders, patiya, rajasthan, rana pratap, riots, sabarmati express, sting operation, tehelka