Bajrang Dal members booked for assaulting professorMay 27th, 2008 - 7:48 pm ICT by admin
Kanpur, May 27 (IANS) Some members of the Bajrang Dal here have been booked for assaulting a Kanpur University professor who allegedly framed a question on surrogate motherhood using names of Hindu deities in the ongoing law examinations, said the police Tuesday. “Nirmal Mishra, a professor associated with the varsity’s law department, was beaten up Monday by the Bajrang Dal members for allegedly hurting the sentiments of Hindus. After dragging Mishra out of his residence, the agitated Bajrang Dal members blackened his face and paraded him in the locality,” Collectorganj circle officer P.K. Chauhan told IANS.
He said cases under Indian Penal Code sections 504 (insult intended to provoke breach of peace), section 147 (rioting), and section 506 (criminal intimidation) have been registered against several Bajrang Dal members.
Referring to the controversial question that Mishra asked in the family law examination held May 22, a police official said: “The professor used names like Ram, Sita, Shanker in a question on surrogate motherhood.”
The controversial question was: Ram and Sita got married in June 1988. Sita could not become pregnant, owing to some problem in her fallopian tubes. Doctors suggested an option to Sita to go for a mechanism in which her embryo would be artificially developed and transplanted to another woman’s uterus in order to deliver a baby, said the varsity officials.
Sita told about the option to her mother Sheela, who accepted to deliver her daughter’s baby as a surrogate mother. Later, a baby, Shanker, was born. Explain the relation between Shanker and Sita?, the officials said.
Members of the Kanpur University Teachers’ Association (KUTA) have demanded action against Mishra for framing such a question that portrays Hindu gods and goddesses in poor light.
- Bajrang Dal activists threaten couples celebrating Valentine's Day in Kanpur - Feb 14, 2011
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Katiyar hints at legal battle if Ayodhya suit is lost - Sep 19, 2010
- Bajrang Dal group stopped from going to Amarnath base camps - May 13, 2012
- Bangalore Christians staged rally against probe reports on church attacks - Feb 22, 2011
- Rent-a-womb: India becoming surrogate pregnancy hub - Feb 15, 2011
- Two arrested with fake currency - Feb 04, 2011
- Parents of octuplets in China face hefty fines - Dec 21, 2011
- Protests mark Valentine's Day in Andhra Pradesh - Feb 14, 2012
- BJP condoles Husain's death; Bajrang Dal opposes burial in India (Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- Candid maternity talk with men - from behind veil (Feature, With Images) - May 04, 2012
- Kanpur blasts case may be transferred to NIA - Apr 01, 2011
- Baby Falak to be discharged in a week - Mar 09, 2012
- British surrogate mother 'retires' after 10 children - Jun 30, 2012
- Three women perform father's 'pinda daan' in Gaya - Sep 26, 2010