Baghpat firing toll rises to three, 11 policemen suspended (Lead)December 12th, 2008 - 12:25 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Dec 11 (IANS) With the toll in the firing by criminals in Uttar Pradesh’s Baghpat region rising to three, 11 policemen were suspended by the deputy state police chief who visited the district Thursday, officials said.Two businessmen were killed and six were critically injured when a gang of criminals opened indiscriminate fire in a busy market in Baghpat late Wednesday, the police said.
“The district police chief, B.R. Meena, Circle Officer S.C. Sharma, Inspector Jawahar Lal and eight other policemen have been suspended with immediate effect”, Additional Director General of Police (crime, law and order) Brijlal told reporters after reaching Baghpat Thursday evening.
The four or five men, who were on motorcycles, fired at the shopkeepers in Thatheri Mandi, 300 km from here, and escaped.
“We promise to nab the culprits within the next three days,” he added.
While traders Kishanchand Jaiswal and Sumat died on the spot, another trader, Sanjay, died in a Meerut hospital. The police said semi-automatic weapons were used by the attackers.
The suspended police chief of Baghpat, B.R. Meena, earlier in the day said that the criminals had been identified and would be caught in two days.
Paramilitary forces were deployed in the area following the massive protest by traders who also blocked the Delhi-Baghpat highway for hours after the incident.
- Baghpat firing toll rises to three - Dec 11, 2008
- Two men shot dead by police in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 27, 2008
- After Baghpat, criminals fire at traders in Mahoba, no caualities - Dec 12, 2008
- Pune deaths: Six policemen suspended - Aug 11, 2011
- Company manager shot dead in Meerut - Apr 12, 2012
- Land 'captured' for Ambedkar memorial in Mumbai - Dec 06, 2011
- Curfew relaxed in violence-hit Ghaziabad area - Sep 17, 2012
- Owner hit by plane on runway, dies - May 12, 2012
- Hotel fire kills three in Odisha - Aug 04, 2012
- Owner hit by plane on runway, dies (Lead) - May 12, 2012
- Cops probe calls from Iran to plant bombs in Meerut - Jul 18, 2011
- Cop dies, 20 colleagues faint during physical test - Jul 20, 2011
- Five injured in police firing in Bihar - Feb 22, 2011
- UP officials not taking Akhilesh seriously: BSP - Jul 30, 2012
- Meerut realtor killed - Jun 17, 2011