Bagan’s 1911 Shield triumph to become part of school textsApril 10th, 2012 - 11:44 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 10 (IANS) Students pursuing the higher secondary course in West Bengal are all set to read about Mohun Bagan’s famous IFA Shield triumph in 1911 in their history text books, with a syllabus review committee appointed by the Mamata Banerjee government recommending the inclusion of the feat in the curriculum.
Shibdas Bhaduri-led Mohun Bagan’s thrilling 2-1 IFA Shield final victory July 29, 1911, over East Yorkshire regiment had electrified the entire country, then fighting to gain independence from British rule.
It was the first time an Indian club succeeded in lifting the IFA Shield by beating the British at their own game.
The epic feat has earlier featured in movies, plays and songs.
Avik Majumdar, head of the syllabus review committee, said it was a historic event which deserved due recognition. “Students should learn this part of our history”.
State Sports Minister Madan Mitra said inclusion of the glorious episode in the text books will encourage patriotism.
Mohun Bagan General Secretary Anjan Mitra said the 1911 triumph earlier was a part of the school curriculum in the 1960s. “We read about the exploits of the immortal XI and fell in love with football and Mohun Bagan. But later it was dropped from the syllabus. It is great that the present government has decided to make it a part of the curriculum again.”
- Mohun Bagan's 1911 IFA shield win now on celluloid - Jun 27, 2010
- Centenary celebrations of Mohun Bagan's historic IFA Shield win begin Thursday - Jul 28, 2010
- Footballer Ruud Gullit to visit Kolkata - Jul 25, 2012
- Is Mamata trying to make Marx & Engels history in Bengal? - Apr 06, 2012
- Trimming 'excess' of Marxism in favour of globalisation (West Bengal Newsletter) - Apr 08, 2012
- P.K.Banerjee to be conferred Mohun Bagan Ratna - Jul 07, 2011
- Mohun Bagan remembers 1911 IFA Shield win - Jul 30, 2010
- Mamata made Mohun Bagan's honorary life member - Jul 29, 2011
- Venezuelans miss practice as kits are misplaced - Sep 01, 2011
- Samar Banerjee gets Mohun Bagan Ratna - Jul 30, 2009
- Mamata regrets country's poor soccer standards (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- Mohun Bagan appoints Santosh Kashyap as coach - Jun 30, 2012
- Legendary Jarnail Singh conferred Mohun Bagan Ratna posthumously - Jul 30, 2012
- Mohun Bagan's chief coach resigns - Dec 13, 2010
- Mohun Bagan to help soccer development in northeast - Nov 25, 2010
Tags: 1960s, anjan, due recognition, east yorkshire regiment, exploits, final victory, general secretary, history text books, inclusion, madan, mamata banerjee, mitra, mohun bagan, patriotism, present government, school curriculum, school texts, state sports, west bengal, yorkshire