Badals getting richer, Punjab poorer: AmarinderAugust 13th, 2011 - 9:31 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar, Aug 13 (IANS) Making a frontal attack on Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and his son and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, Congress leader Amarinder Singh Saturday said that while the Badal family was getting richer, Punjab was becoming poorer by the day.
Addressing a rally at Baba Bakala town near here Saturday, Amarinder, a former chief minister, asked the elder Badal to explain the source of his wealth worth several billions of rupees now.
He said: “It is surprising that while Punjab was getting poor, the Badals were becoming richer and richer.”
“When Badal joined politics, he had inherited only 80 acres of land from his father. What miracle did you do that you earned billions from these acres, that now you own seven star hotels worth thousands of crores, thousands of acres of land across the world and much more?” he asked.
Amarinder Singh, who is the Punjab Congress president, said that Badal, who has been chief minister of Punjab four times, had done nothing for the state worth remembering.
“The only thing he did during these four terms was to go on accumulating and multiplying his wealth by billions, of which he may have lost the count himself,” he said.
Amarinder Singh said that Punjab needed industry and revamping of agriculture to progress further.
“Farmers are committing suicides due to indebtness and youths are taking to drugs. The state government is hardly doing anything,” he said.
The Amarinder Singh government (2002-07) had in 2002 registered cases of corruption and disproportionate assets against the Badals. A lower court in Mohali earlier this year acquitted the Badals of the charges.
- Words heat up as Punjab's political temperature soars - Aug 23, 2011
- Amarinder asks Congressmen to hit Akalis - Nov 01, 2011
- In poll heat, Punjab lingo hots up too (Punjab Newsletter) - Nov 20, 2011
- Badal withdraws defamation cases against Sonia, Amarinder - Oct 30, 2010
- Amarinder Singh re-enters Punjab assembly - Sep 29, 2010
- Amarinder attacks Akalis over Punjab police chief - Jul 09, 2011
- Four children killed as school bus-train collide - Jul 30, 2012
- Court allows Badal's plea to withdraw case against Amarinder - Oct 16, 2010
- Punjab legislator dies - Mar 04, 2012
- Badal government has failed to lift paddy: Amarinder - Nov 05, 2010
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.250 crore (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Sukhbir's stamp all over Badal government (Punjab Newsletter) - Mar 17, 2012
- Thousands turn up for rallies at Bhagat Singh's village - Mar 23, 2011
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.200 crore - Jan 12, 2012
- Amarinder hits out at Badals for going on holiday - Feb 15, 2012
Tags: agriculture, amarinder singh, assets, badal family, billions, congress leader, congress president, corruption, deputy chief minister, drugs, farmers, frontal attack, indebtness, miracle, mohali, rally, rupees, state government, suicides, worth thousands