Badal to tone down 1,000-strong security marginallyDecember 16th, 2008 - 1:43 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Dec 16 (IANS) Among the most protected politicians in the country, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal is said to be trimming the 1,000-strong armed police personnel guarding him and his family, but just marginally. Top Punjab police and home department sources said here Monday that Badal has agreed to prune security personnel around himself and his family members by 10 percent.
“However, since he and Sukhbir Badal (Badal’s son and Akali Dal president) and other immediate family members are in the Z-plus security category, much of the security will remain,” a senior Punjab police official said.
The move comes even as the Punjab home department has started an exercise of reviewing security cover of various protectees, including politicians, police officers, bureaucrats and other influential people.
The Badal family is protected by the elite National Security Guards (NSG) commandos, Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and Punjab police personnel. Badal and his son move around in bullet proof vehicles and jammer-fitted vehicles accompanying them at all times.
- Status-conscious Punjab VIPs to lose security - Dec 26, 2008
- Now Chandigarh VVIPs to 'secure' their securitymen - Nov 14, 2011
- Sukhbir's stamp all over Badal government (Punjab Newsletter) - Mar 17, 2012
- Akali Dal plans 'biggest' rally Sunday - Dec 17, 2011
- A long relationship ends in Punjab's first family (Letter From Chandigarh) - Oct 23, 2010
- Day after win, Badals pray at Golden Temple - Mar 07, 2012
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Over 77 percent voting in Punjab, one killed in violence (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2012
- Punjab gets 21 new chief parliamentary secretaries - Apr 10, 2012
- Punjab VIPs security stepped up after BKI terrorists' arrest - Dec 25, 2011
- At 84, Parkash Singh Badal towers over all - Mar 07, 2012
- Will Badal be NDA choice for vice president? (Punjab Newsletter) - May 04, 2012
- Two Punjab bureaucrats-turned-politicians bite the dust (Poll sidelights) - Mar 06, 2012
- Punjab puts officials on austerity drive - downgrades cars - Sep 17, 2009
- 'Parkash Singh Badal to be chief minister' - Mar 08, 2012