Badal presents Rs.10 mn draft to Abhinav BindraAugust 19th, 2008 - 12:13 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Aug 18 (IANS) Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal Monday presented a draft of Rs.10 million to Abhinav Bindra for winning a gold medal in the 10 metre air rifle shooting event at the Beijing Olympics.Abhinav has become the first Indian to win an individual gold medal in Olympics.
Badal said this is a historic achievement for the whole nation. He urged Bindra to utilize his talent in training budding players of Punjab in rifle shooting so that they could also win gold medals for the country.
Bindra is the youngest Olympian from India. He participated in the Sydney Olympics in 2000 at the age of 18. He is also the youngest recipient of the Arjuna award (2000) and the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award (2001).
Badal also announced the state’s policy to provide excellent infrastructure and training facilities to young players to help them compete in international events.
- Vijay, Yogeshwar awarded Khel Ratna; Yuvraj gets Arjuna (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Two get Khel Ratna, 25 Arjuna Award - Aug 19, 2012
- Narang emerges out of Bindra's shadow (Profile) - Jul 30, 2012
- Cash award to Bindra for Asian shooting gold - Jan 18, 2012
- Khel Ratna has brought added pressure: Narang - Jul 26, 2011
- Gagan Narang: A world champ in the making - Oct 09, 2010
- Saina changes Bejing heartbreak into Olympic bronze (Profile) - Aug 04, 2012
- Punjab players get cash rewards - Feb 05, 2011
- Khel Ratna in bag, Narang sets sights on Olympics - Aug 29, 2011
- Sushil Kumar's Olympic saga (Factfile) - Aug 12, 2012
- CWG: Omkar Singh wins gold medal in 50 m Pistol - Oct 06, 2010
- Abhinav Bindra recommended for Bharat Ratna - Dec 19, 2011
- Abhinav Bindra recommended for Bharat Ratna (Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Narang bags bronze; first Indian to qualify for London Olympics (Lead) - Jul 31, 2010
- Madhya Pradesh to set up museum after Dhyan Chand - Jan 24, 2012