Bad parenting linked to drinkingAugust 29th, 2011 - 1:33 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 29 (IANS) The style of parenting is one of the strongest influences on how much alcohol a child will drink as a teenager and young adult, a new study has found.
Think tank Demos found out that bad parenting made children eight times more likely to become binge drinkers at 16 years, and twice as likely to drink excessively when they were 34.
Researchers analysed data from more than 15,000 children born in Britain over the last 40 years as part of the study, The Independent reported.
They found the “tough love” style of parenting, which combined warmth and discipline, was the most effective in ensuring against children developing an unhealthy relationship with alcohol.
Less effective styles were “authoritarian”, where parents set high standards and employ strict discipline, “laissez faire”, where parents are emotionally engaged but do not set rule or boundaries, and those who are “disengaged” with their children.
The think tank recommended that parents should develop a warm and loving relationship in the early years of their children’s lives and assert discipline and supervision at the ages of 15 and 16.
Parents should also set firm boundaries, avoid getting drunk in front of their children and not take a relaxed attitude to under-age drinking, the think tank said.
- Kids with 'tough love' upbringing 'do well in life' - Nov 08, 2009
- Kids offered alcohol by people other than parents '6 times likelier to binge' - Nov 08, 2010
- Parenting style can prevent heavy drinking - Jun 24, 2010
- Binge drinking leads to brain damage - Jun 28, 2011
- Snoop Dogg under fire for promoting new fruity alcoholic drink 'Blast' - Apr 23, 2011
- Parenting style can prevent binge drinking in teens - Jun 24, 2010
- Lowering the drinking age won't college binge drinking: Study - Dec 11, 2010
- Teens prefer a shot of liquor to a bottle of beer, finds study - Mar 09, 2011
- Parents important for keeping teens off alcohol - Mar 08, 2011
- Alcohol addiction more likely among those it peps up - Apr 05, 2011
- 'Moderate drinking during pregnancy doesn't harm baby' - Jun 20, 2012
- Parenting skills depend on income: Study - Jan 14, 2011
- Inconsistent parental discipline creates anti-social kids - Feb 27, 2012
- Binge drinking doubles heart attack risk - Nov 25, 2010
- Jamie Oliver says UK's "idiot" binge-drinkers should be fined - Apr 10, 2010
Tags: alcohol, binge drinkers, boundaries, eight times, london, loving relationship, parenting, parents, relaxed attitude, strict discipline, supervision, teenager, think tank, tough love, unhealthy relationship, warmth, young adult