Back to school, British mums dressing up to killAugust 31st, 2011 - 11:58 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 31 (IANS) With just a few days left for British children to join back to their schools after summer recess, their mothers are having a busy time ironing shirts and booking haircuts. But that’s just for themselves.
While millions of parents will be getting their children’s uniforms ready, many will be taking as much care over their own appearance at the school gate, the Daily Mail reported.
Two-thirds of mothers dress to impress on the first school run of the academic year, says a survey.
One in six will have had a hairdo and bought an outfit for the big day.
According to a Sainsbury’s poll of 2,000 women, the average mother spends up to 25 minutes getting ready for the first day of term, seven minutes longer than it takes for her to sort out her children.
She will have paid 60 pounds for new clothes, shoes or accessories, and one in five will have splashed out on a 50-pound haircut, more than the 72 pound they spend on a uniform and stationery for their child.
Three-quarters of mothers would not prefer wearing the same dress as the day before while seven in ten admitted being nervous about how other kids’ mothers see them.
A Sainsbury’s spokesman said: “Mums feel the need to impress at the school gate, so much so they spend more time and money on themselves than on their kids.”
“And it seems looking their best is something else they want to perfect for the first day of school.”
- Mother's weekly work is worth 37,000 pounds a year - Jul 21, 2011
- Now study says parents turning embarrassment for kids - Sep 06, 2011
- Brit women spend more on themselves during Christmas - Dec 03, 2010
- Dreams no bar for kids at prison play school - Aug 02, 2011
- Brit women 'too busy to take care of themselves' - May 10, 2010
- My mom controls my spending, says Justin Bieber - Feb 23, 2011
- School comes to them in big yellow bus (Feature) - Sep 16, 2011
- Average Brit parents spend just 49 minutes with kids due to cash crunch - May 25, 2010
- Desi girls opt for western outfits for IIFA green carpet - Jun 26, 2011
- Kids come before jobs for working women: Survey (Lead) - Oct 23, 2010
- Slum kids' take on life through films, photos - Nov 13, 2011
- Heidi Klum's Halloween costume for 2011 tops all - Oct 27, 2011
- Study reveals that men take longer than women to get ready - Nov 22, 2011
- Why women cut their hair after a break-up - Apr 24, 2011
- Obamas find Humayun's Tomb 'spectacular', interact with children (Second Lead) - Nov 07, 2010
Tags: academic year, appearance, clothes, daily mail, few days, first day of school, haircut, haircuts, hairdo, ironing shirts, parents, s poll, sainsbury, shoes, spokesman, stationery, three quarters, time and money, two thirds, uniforms