Back injury may force Pattinson to miss remainder of seriesApril 19th, 2012 - 6:47 pm ICT by IANS
Port of Spain (Trinidad), April 19 (IANS) Exciting young Australian fast bowler James Pattinson has injured his back and will miss the remainder of the West Indies tour.
Pattinson is not likely to bowl on the final day of the second Test here or play the last Test in Dominica, beginning Monday.
With Pattinson out, Australia are left with just one front-line fast bowler, Ben Hilfenhaus, when they try to push for an unlikely victory in the rain-marred second Test, reports the Telegraph.
Australia ended the fourth day at 73 for three, a lead of 127, and will force the pace in the hope of bowling the hosts in two sessions.
Pattinson, 21, is playing his first Test in almost four months after breaking down with stress fractures of the foot during the New Year’s Test against India in Sydney. In five Tests after making his debut last summer, he has claimed 26 wickets at 19.
Peter Siddle was ruled out of second Test and is in doubt for the series after suffering back problems during Australia’s dramatic first Test victory in Barbados, while Ryan Harris was rested.
Australia played two spinners in Trinidad, opening the bowling with recalled left-armer Michael Beer, while off-spinner Nathan Lyon claimed 5 for 68 in the first innings.
- Injured Siddle and Pattinson out for remainder of tour - Apr 20, 2012
- Sammy's half-century in vain as Aussies wrap up series - Apr 28, 2012
- Australia opt to bat against India - Dec 26, 2011
- India lose openers early, trail Australia by 234 (Second Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Australia name unchanged XI for second Test - Jan 02, 2012
- Australia may fall back on quicks thrashed in last Ashes - Apr 21, 2012
- Rain plays spoilsport in Port of Spain Test - Apr 20, 2012
- Zaheer, Ashwin restrict Australia to 333 in first innings (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- West Indies collapse leaves Aussies in control of final Test - Apr 25, 2012
- Windies top order exposed as Australia take charge - Apr 17, 2012
- Arthur hints at retaining bowling attack for SCG Test - Dec 31, 2011
- Forrest, Wade in Australia's Test squad; Haddin retained - Mar 14, 2012
- All-pace attack can backfire: Siddle - Dec 30, 2011
- Lyon becomes international off-spinner from a groundsman - Jul 26, 2011
- Australia bat in fourth Test - Jan 24, 2012
Tags: barbados, first test, four months, james pattinson, last test, lyon, michael beer, new year, port of spain, port of spain trinidad, remainder, ryan harris, second test, siddle, spinners, stress fractures of the foot, telegraph, test victory, west indies, wickets