Baby girls more malnourished than boys, says surveyJanuary 17th, 2012 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, Jan 17 (IANS) About 48 percent of pediatricians across Delhi, Haryana and Punjab, areas with most skewed sex ratio in India, have observed baby girls are more malnourished than boys, according to a survey released here Tuesday.
The Indian Academy of Pediatrics (IAP) conducted an online survey among 679 pediatricians in these three states.
According to the survey, about 65 percent pediatricians observed that the birth of a boy is more celebrated while 26 percent felt that celebration is equal at the birth of a baby with either gender.
“The reason for conducting this survey on pediatricians was that they are perfectly positioned to observe gender discrimination playing out vis-a-vis child health,” said Mahavir Jain, organising secretary of the annual national conference of the Indian Academy of Pediatrician (PEDICON 2012).
Haryana has the lowest child sex ratio of 830 girls per 1000 boys followed by 846 in Punjab and 866 in Delhi against the 914 across India.
“Malnutrition is the breeding ground for all diseases and a major reason for deaths of children. About 1.3 million children do not get to live more than a year. Suppose we save these lives, then it will be a major step to achieve one of the the UN Millennium Development Goal,” said Rohit Agarwal, president of IAP.
PEDICON will be held Jan 18-22 on theme ‘Nuture with care — dedicated to our precious daughters.’
- Haryana records marginal rise in child sex ratio - Apr 05, 2011
- Declining child sex ratio matter of concern: Tirath - Mar 31, 2011
- Child sex ratio worst since Independence: Census 2011 - Mar 31, 2011
- Declining child sex ratio alarms social scientists - Apr 01, 2011
- Bachchans give huge fillip to the 'girl child' in India - Nov 23, 2011
- Implement law against sex selection stringently: Azad - Sep 28, 2011
- President concerned over declining sex ratio - Jan 14, 2012
- Half of Indian kids under five underweight: NGO - Feb 15, 2012
- Lowest in literacy but with highest sex ratio - Apr 07, 2011
- Punjab sees overall increase in sex ratio - Apr 08, 2011
- Sex selection to lead to 20pc more men than women by 2030 in India - Mar 15, 2011
- Chinese people protest female foeticide - Jul 13, 2012
- Blot on humanity, says twitterati on baby Afreen's death - Apr 11, 2012
- Experts express concern over skewed sex ratio - Dec 22, 2011
- Declining sex ratio means we'll all become gays: Farooq - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: academy of pediatrics, baby girls, birth of a baby, breeding ground, child health, child sex, deaths, gender discrimination, gurgaon, haryana, indian academy of pediatrics, malnutrition, millennium development, nuture, online survey, pediatrician, pediatricians, precious daughters, sex ratio, three states