‘Baby Falak’s chances of survival less than 50 percent’January 31st, 2012 - 2:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 31 (IANS) Battered two-year-old baby Falak, who was admitted to AIIMS with multiple injuries two weeks ago, continues to be critical with a doctor at the hospital saying her chances of survival are less than 50 percent.
“There is no surgery lined up for now. Her chances of survival are low. Even though it is difficult to put an exact number, it is less than 50 percent,” Deepak Agrawal, assistant professor, neurosurgery, at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Trauma Centre told IANS.
The toddler, who underwent a second brain surgery Monday, is suffering from infection in her chest and brain, and is still on ventilator. “We are just watching the child for now,” the doctor said.
The Delhi Police is meanwhile trying to chain together the series of events that led to the baby being abandoned. It said it was close to solving the case after crucial leads were found Monday.
The 15-year-old, who brought the baby to AIIMS and is now in a juvenile home, will also be questioned Tuesday by a child welfare committee which will decide about the teenager’s custody, police sources said.
Police said a woman, Munni, a mother of four, was the biological mother of the baby and had left her in the house of Laxmi in Uttam Nagar area of west Delhi.
Laxmi handed over the baby to Rajkumar alias Dilshad (28), who left the girl with his minor girlfriend before heading to Mumbai for the treatment of his son.
Falak was admitted to AIIMS Jan 18 with multiple injuries, including a fractured skull, human bite marks on her tiny frame and a clot on the right side of her brain.
- Baby Falak critical, next 48 hours till Thursday crucial (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Baby Falak critical, police claim leads to finding parents (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2012
- Baby Falak critical, police continue search for parents (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Baby Falak critical, may undergo another brain surgery - Jan 30, 2012
- Baby Falak critical, may undergo another brain surgery (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Baby Falak undergoes brain surgery, still critical (Second Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Battered baby continues to be critical - Jan 28, 2012
- Baby Falak very critical: Doctor - Feb 01, 2012
- Falak continues to battle for life, three arrested in case (Roundup) - Feb 02, 2012
- Battered baby battles for life, parents untraceable - Jan 27, 2012
- Falak still critical, may undergo another brain surgery - Feb 19, 2012
- Baby Falak critical, 'mother' can't meet her yet - Feb 07, 2012
- Battered baby critical, government offers support (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Baby Falak's mother performs her last rites - Mar 16, 2012
- Battered baby Falak dies of cardiac arrest (Third Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
Tags: all india institute of medical sciences, assistant professor, biological mother, brain surgery, child welfare, delhi police, exact number, falak, fractured skull, india institute, laxmi, neurosurgery, New Delhi, old baby, police sources, tiny frame, trauma centre, ventilator, welfare committee, west delhi