Babbar Khalsa terrorist gets 10 years’ jailMarch 23rd, 2010 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, March 23 (IANS) A special court Tuesday sentenced Babbar Khalsa terrorist Jagtar Singh Hawara to 10 years’ rigorous imprisonment in a nearly 15 years old case.
Additional district and sessions judge Ravi Kumar Sondhi also slapped a fine of Rs.4,000 on Hawara in the trial held in the model jail here.
According to the police, Hawara was booked under the charges of attempt to murder and for possessing illegal arms in a case registered against him in 1995. He had fired at a Punjab policeman at Jalandhar bus stand when police tried to arrest him.
Hawara was sentenced to death in 2007 for his involvement in the assassination of then Punjab chief minister Beant Singh by a suicide bomber Aug 31, 1995.
Beant Singh, who was largely credited in getting Punjab back to normalcy with the support of supercop K.P.S. Gill in the early 1990s, was assassinated by a suicide bomber, Dilawar Singh, at the high-security Punjab civil secretariat complex here.
- Babbar Khalsa terrorist convicted for Beant Singh's assassination - Mar 29, 2010
- Khalistan terrorist gets life term for Beant Singh killing - Mar 30, 2010
- Badal to meet president to seek clemency for Rajoana - Mar 28, 2012
- Burail jail-break: Court declares conspirator 'absconder' - Apr 02, 2011
- Babbar Khalsa terrorists attacked, four arrested - Nov 11, 2011
- Why not death to you, apex court asks Hawara - Dec 05, 2011
- Punjab jailor wants Sikh terrorist's death warrant deferred - Mar 26, 2012
- Akali Dal asks Punjab government, SGPC to save Rajoana - Mar 25, 2012
- BKI terrorist Jagtar Hawara's death sentence commuted to life - Oct 12, 2010
- Tihar Jail to lodge terrorist Hawara - Oct 25, 2010
- Tight security across Punjab ahead of Rajoana hanging - Mar 28, 2012
- Assassin on death row wants to be baptized a Sikh - Dec 05, 2010
- Patiala jailor again refuses to accept Rajoana's death warrant (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Hawara, four held guilty for Delhi twin blasts in 2005 (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Rajoana to hang Saturday, rules court (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: 10 years, babbar khalsa, back to normalcy, chief minister, civil secretariat, early 1990s, high security, illegal arms, jagtar singh hawara, old case, policeman, ravi kumar, rigorous imprisonment, secretariat, sessions, sondhi, suicide bomber, supercop, terrorist