Baba Jai Gurudev, 116, passes away (Lead)May 19th, 2012 - 12:58 pm ICT by IANS
Mathura, May 19 (IANS) Spiritual guru Baba Jai Gurudev, who had millions of followers, passed away here late Friday after prolonged illness, a spokesman for his ashram said. He was 116 years old.
In his last moments, he was brought to Mathura in Uttar Pradesh from the Medanta City Hospital in Gurgaon.
As news of his demise spread, thousands of devotees made a beeline to his ashram on the Agra-Delhi highway, weeping inconsolably.
Considered a cult figure for his simplicity and social service, Jai Gurudev had followers mostly in villages and small towns.
Known for preaching simple living, his devotees wore clothes made of jute and cotton.
Samajwadi Party president Mulayam Singh Yadav and his younger brother, PWD Minister Shivpal Singh Yadav, are ardent admirers of Jai Gurudev.
Managers at his ashram said the body would be kept for two days to allow his followers and devotees to pay their last respects.
- Baba Jai Gurudev, 116, passes away (Second Lead) - May 19, 2012
- Baba Jai Gurudev to be cremated - May 21, 2012
- Spiritual guru Jai Gurudev dies at 116 - May 19, 2012
- Mulayam pulls up government over Etawah firing - Apr 02, 2012
- Communal riot add to Mulayam-Akhilesh's headache - Jun 02, 2012
- Delhi-Agra highway choked with devotees - Dec 17, 2010
- Minister flayed for saying officials can steal from state coffers - Aug 10, 2012
- Sachin pays homage to Sathya Sai Baba - Apr 25, 2011
- Two UP Congress leaders hitch onto Samajwadi Party bicycle (News Analysis) - Apr 22, 2012
- Sathya Sai Baba was a living god: Chavan - Apr 24, 2011
- Akhilesh is candidate for Legislative Council - Apr 05, 2012
- Bollywood bereaved at Sai Baba's passing - Apr 25, 2011
- Bukhari, Azam Khan spew fire - Apr 07, 2012
- Evidence against Maya government's scams soon: Shivpal - Jun 02, 2012
- Sai Baba devotees celebrate Avataar declaration day - Oct 20, 2011
Tags: agra, ardent admirers, ashram, baba, beeline, brother, clothes, cult figure, demise, devotees, followers, gurgaon, jai, jute, last respects, mulayam singh yadav, party president, simplicity, spiritual guru, spokesman