Azarenka eases into 3rd round at French OpenMay 31st, 2012 - 2:48 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, May 31 (IANS) Top seed Victoria Azarenka of Belarus put on an inspiring performance to reach the third round of the French Open with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Dinah Pfizenmaier of Germany.
The Australian Open champion made only 11 unforced errors and converted five of seven break points to rout Pfizenmaier Wednesday.
In the first round, Azarenka struggled early before winning 12 of the final 14 games to advance. She committed 60 unforced errors in that opening match, reported Xinhua.
“It was a different game, I didn’t really know my opponent, and it took me first few games to kind of understand what she does and what kind of game she plays,” she said. “But since after a few games, I started to find my rhythm. Definitely I played much better today.”
Azarenka reached the quarter-finals at Roland Garros last year, matching her best performance at the clay-court Grand Slam.
- Nadal one win away from French Open title record - Jun 09, 2012
- US Open: Azarenka, Williams showdown for women's title - Sep 08, 2012
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Serena Williams wins women's singles at US Open - Sep 10, 2012
- Federer routs Kohlschreiber in Monte Carlo Masters - Apr 13, 2011
- Ferrer thrashes Djokovic to reach semis at ATP final - Nov 24, 2011
- Azarenka takes tennis bronze for Belarus - Aug 04, 2012
- Azarenka destroys Sharapova to win Australian Open - Jan 28, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer plays Murray in repeat of Wimbledon final (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- French Open: Bhupathi, Sania advance to mixed double quarters - Jun 04, 2012
- Wozniacki, Arzarenko advance into US Open second round - Aug 31, 2011
- Sharapova beats Azarenka to win Stuttgart WTA title - Apr 30, 2012
- French Open: Top seeds advance to third round - May 31, 2012
- Sodering shocks Nadal into career-first Roland Garros loss (Third Lead) - Jun 01, 2009
- Nadal makes winning return at Wimbledon - Jun 22, 2010
Tags: australian open, australian open champion, best performance, break points, clay court, different game, french open, french open paris, grand slam, inspiring performance, kind of game, match, opponent, quarter finals, rhythm, roland garros, rout, unforced errors, victoria azarenka, xinhua