Azad among first to cast vote, confident of Congress winDecember 24th, 2008 - 10:36 am ICT by IANS
Jammu, Dec 24 (IANS) Former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Ghulam Nabi Azad was among the first 15 to cast his vote in the Jammu East constituency where polling began early Sunday in the last phase of the state assembly elections. He said he was sure the Congress would come to power in the state.After he cast his vote along with his wife Shamima Dev Azad, he said: “I am confident that the Congress will form the next government in Jammu and Kashmir on its own.
“We had left about eight seats for like-minded groups and I think their support would be sufficient to form the government.”
Azad said the 2008 elections were a landmark one as far as the high voter turnout was concerned.
“These elections in 2008 are historic in relation to the 1996 and 2002 ones in the way that people are no longer getting carried away by hollow slogans of separatists or those parties trying to create a divide. They have shown strong faith in the democratic set-up, which is evident from the voter turnout.”
Asked whether the Congress would depend on the National Conference or the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in case they fell short of numbers to form the government, the Congress leader said: “None of these”.
People had started trickling in to exercise their franchise despite the bitter cold in Jammu East constituency. At least 25 people had voted in the first 15 minutes.
The seat had been won by the Congress in the 2002 elections.
- PDP is party of Jammu too: Mufti - May 27, 2012
- Mufti calls for regime change in Jammu and Kashmir - Aug 12, 2012
- Jammu and Kashmir legislators vote for new president - Jul 19, 2012
- Mehbooba re-elected PDP president - Oct 31, 2011
- Azad lambasts National Conference, PDP alike - Apr 19, 2012
- 14th phase of Kashmir panchayat polls ends - Jun 06, 2011
- Record polling in Kerala by-election (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- Omar spent three years saving chair: Mehbooba - Oct 17, 2011
- Congress will form Government at it''s own, says Azad - Dec 24, 2008
- Omar invokes Dickens, destiny to describe tenure (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Mehbooba Mufti set to be re-elected PDP chief - Oct 25, 2011
- Committed to equal growth in all Kashmir regions: PDP - Nov 30, 2011
- Polling picks up in Jammu, clashes in Kashmir (Second Lead) - Dec 17, 2008
- Why Omar should focus on progress, not Congress (Kashmir Newsletter) - Jun 14, 2011
- A Panchayati Kashmir: The importance of holding the Panchayat polls - Feb 10, 2011