Avoid bad cholesterol to shed fat: studyNovember 21st, 2008 - 4:27 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 21 (IANS) An easy way to burn fat - and lose weight - could be the avoidance of bad cholesterol, according to a new study.The study, by researchers at Sweden’s Karolinska Institutet, has found that LDL, or bad cholesterol, is also a regulator of fat turnover besides its well-established detrimental effects in promoting atherosclerosis.
Johan Björkegren and colleagues found that LDL slowed the rate of fat breakdown in adipocytes, the peripheral cells responsible for fat storage, open-access journal PLoS ONE reported.
Earlier studies have shown the fatty acids released from the peripheral fat to the blood boost the synthesis of LDL precursors in the liver.
The current study suggests that high levels of LDL could inhibit the releasing fatty acids of the peripheral fat.
“The results of our study provide evidence of a reciprocal link between the liver and peripheral fat regulating fat turnover”, said Björkegren.
This finding suggests that lowering cholesterol in the blood may also affect build-up of peripheral fat.
The study was conducted on cell cultures and tissue from humans as well as in animal models with different levels of LDL.
- Bad cholesterol inhibits breakdown of fat in cells - Nov 21, 2008
- New cell therapy shows promise against atherosclerosis - Mar 02, 2011
- Targeting fatty acids in immune cells may cut atherosclerosis risk - Jul 24, 2010
- 'Dual switch' that regulates fat formation may harbour obesity cure - Apr 09, 2011
- Fat, not sugar, contributes to Type-2 diabetes - Sep 04, 2012
- Experts wary of Lancet's study on good cholesterol - Jun 14, 2012
- Vitamin D supplement won't help in short term - Sep 05, 2012
- Scientists find cholesterol regulating 'remote-control' in brain - Jun 07, 2010
- Biomarker can nip hardening of arteries in the bud - Jan 22, 2012
- New discovery may lead to better cholesterol drugs - Oct 06, 2010
- Scientists develop new animal model to tackle liver disease - Jul 05, 2012
- Obesity, not alcohol, greater risk for fatty liver - May 31, 2011
- Molecule having anti-fat, anti-cancer abilities found to be a turnoff for fat genes - Aug 28, 2009
- Banning trans fats from foods would prevent thousands of deaths - Apr 16, 2010
- Resveratrol can reduce body fat: Study - Mar 05, 2011