Avian Flu virus found in West Bengal, culling orderedDecember 16th, 2008 - 12:35 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 15 (IANS) Strains of the dreaded avian flu virus have been detected in Malda district of West Bengal, a state minister said Monday.”Two blood samples of dead poultry were sent to the High Security Disease Diagnostic Laboratory at Bhopal. The laboratory conducted tests and has told us that both the samples tested positive for avian flu. They will now conduct other detailed tests,” Animal Resources Development (ARD) minister Anisur Rehman told IANS.
The samples were from Narhatta and Satgheria villages under English Bazar police station in Malda district.
“We have already issued the necessary notification and ordered culling of poultry within a radius of three km from the affected district,” he said.
The samples were sent to the laboratory after around 5,000 poultry died in Narhatta village during the past one week.
Sale and consumption of poultry products have been banned in the affected area.
Rehman said there was no cause for panic, as the district authorities were taking the necessary steps to curb the problem.
Over 200,000 birds were culled when avian flu was detected in several North Bengal and South Bengal districts in January.
- Hit by avian flu again, West Bengal's Malda begins culling - Dec 16, 2008
- Over 20,000 poultry culled in West Bengal - Dec 20, 2008
- West Bengal's Malda hit by bird flu, culling begins (Lead) - Dec 16, 2008
- Culling of birds starts in Bengal - Sep 20, 2011
- Over 22,000 poultry culled in bird flu-hit Malda - Dec 21, 2008
- West Bengal starts 3-day culling in bird flu hit Malda (Second Lead) - Dec 16, 2008
- 9,000 birds culled in bird-flu hit Bengal district - Dec 18, 2008
- Over 10,000 birds culled in West Bengal's Malda (Lead) - Dec 18, 2008
- Tripura begins culling to contain bird flu - Jan 27, 2012
- About 17,000 poultry culled in West Bengal - Dec 19, 2008
- India confirms bird flu in Bengal, PM concerned - Sep 20, 2011
- Bird flu case surfaces in Bhubaneswar - Feb 04, 2012
- Culling on in West Bengal's bird flu-hit Malda (Lead) - Dec 17, 2008
- Bird flu: culling operations on in West Bengal, Assam (Lead) - Dec 23, 2008
- Bird flu: Culling begins in Tripura - Mar 08, 2011