Avalanche warning issued for Kashmir’s higher reachesFebruary 20th, 2012 - 11:27 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Feb 20 (IANS) With heavy rains and fresh snowfall likely to occur in the Kashmir Valley during the next two days, an avalanche warning was issued Monday evening for people living in the higher reaches.
“On the basis of reports from Snow and Avalanche Study Establishment (SASE), the divisional disaster management authority has issued a medium danger avalanche warning for higher reaches of Chowkibal, Tangdhar, Keran, Machil, Gurez, Banihal and Drass areas,” said a statement issued here by the authority.
“People living in these areas have been advised not to venture in avalanche prone areas and to take precautions. The avalanche warning is valid for the next 24 hours (till Tuesday evening).”
A major disaster was averted here Sunday after an avalanche blocked the passage of water in the Sindh stream of north Kashmir’s Ganderbal district for nearly three days.
As the authorities prepared for blasting water’s way through the avalanche in order to avoid glacial lake outburst flooding (GLOF), accumulated water finally managed to find its way through the avalanche naturally Sunday morning thereby averting major flash floods in low lying areas of the district.
- Avalanche warning for Kashmir's Gurez town - Mar 05, 2012
- Heavy snowfall in Kashmir, avalanche warning issued (With Images) - Jan 15, 2012
- Srinagar-Jammu highway closed, avalanche warning in Valley - Feb 15, 2011
- Nine army troopers killed in Kashmir avalanche - Feb 23, 2012
- Snow likely in Kashmir Valley, avalanche alert sounded - Feb 06, 2011
- Eleven army soldiers killed in Kashmir avalanche (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Avalanche warning issued in Kashmir - Jan 07, 2012
- Snowfall cuts off Kashmir from rest of country - Jan 16, 2012
- Kashmir avalanche: BSF officer's body recovered, six missing (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Flash flood threat averted in Kashmir - Feb 19, 2012
- Kashmir cut off for third day, snowfall stops (With Images) - Jan 17, 2012
- Gurez avalanche: Death toll rises to three - Mar 21, 2012
- 16 army soldiers killed in north Kashmir avalanches (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Eleven army personnel killed in Kashmir avalanches (Second Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Flash flood warning in north Kashmir - Feb 17, 2012
Tags: authorities, avalanche warning, disaster management, drass, flash floods, glacial lake, heavy rains, kashmir, kashmir valley, major disaster, management authority, north kashmir, outburst, prone areas, reaches, snowfall, sunday morning, tuesday evening