Autorickshaw driver flees with passenger’s purse, arrestedAugust 9th, 2008 - 9:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 9 (IANS) An auto rickshaw driver, who fled with the purse of a woman passenger containing Rs.250,000 and her mobile phone, was arrested, the police said Saturday. Rani Sharma, a resident of Mehrauli, complained to the police that Friday afternoon she boarded an auto rickshaw to reach Tughlakabad and kept her purse inside.
However, the driver refused to go by the meter. She got down but the driver immediately sped off with her purse containing Rs.250,000, a mobile phone and a few articles.
She informed the police about it. The only clue she provided to the police was that “Ex - Army” was written on the back of the auto rickshaw.
“A search was launched and the auto rickshaw was traced at Sangam Vihar. The driver was signalled to stop for checking, but he tried to flee and was caught,” a police official said.
“On questioning, the driver Gannu Jha admitted that he had intentionally stolen the woman’s purse,” the police official added.
He was arrested and the money and the mobile phone were recovered from him.
- Engineer robbed in Noida - Oct 22, 2010
- Four auto drivers held for murder in Delhi - Jul 13, 2011
- Six held for snatchings - Jan 08, 2011
- Three held for gang rape in south Delhi - Feb 18, 2011
- Woman gangraped, dies in Ranchi hospital - Apr 23, 2012
- Bengal comes out with directives for cabs, auto rickshaws - Aug 22, 2012
- Woman rewarded for foiling snatching bid - Nov 15, 2011
- Gang of bus robbers busted, 11 arrested - Feb 11, 2011
- Tailor held for bid to extort Rs.67 lakh from employer - Dec 30, 2010
- To bail out lover, girl burgles employer's house - Oct 06, 2011
- 22-year-old gangraped by auto drivers - Apr 01, 2010
- Driver arrested for molesting French tourist - Sep 04, 2012
- Man involved in 300 car thefts held -- again (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Drugs turn three youths into murderers - Oct 13, 2011
- Two held for snatching mobile phones, purses - May 19, 2010