Auto sales sluggish despite Reserve Bank boost: MahindraJanuary 16th, 2009 - 7:04 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 16 (IANS) Automobile sales are not picking up as commercial banks have not eased auto loan rates, a senior official of utility vehicle major Mahindra and Mahindra (M&M) said here Friday.”The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has given a directive to banks to ease lending rates for automobile loans. The banks are yet to respond,” Pawan Goenka, president of M&M’s automotive division said on the sidelines of the launch of multi-purpose vehicle Xylo.
“Customers are very hesitant, the confidence level is lacking. This is due to the overall economic scenario,” Goenka said.
To illustrate his point, he said sales of Scorpio - a special utility vehicle from the M&M stable - dropped to around 2,500 in November and December from 3,000 a month earlier due to the slowdown.
However, Goenka said the company was going ahead with its Rs.40-billion (Rs.4,000- crore) greenfield project in Chakan near Pune to manufacture medium and heavy commercial vehicles. The facility will be completed by next year.
Despite falling sales, Goenka was optimistic of the future, saying M&M was looking at a turnover of Rs.100 billion by 2011; it was Rs.80 billion in 2007-08.
Regarding the newly launched Xylo, he said the company has set no sales target. “We will manufacture 2,000 Xylo units per month. If the demand is higher, we can increase our production accordingly.”
M&M will launch the left-hand drive version of the car for the international markets by February 2010.
- Mahindra eyeing African market for new SUV - Sep 29, 2011
- Mahindra may delay XUV500 export to meet local demand - Oct 08, 2011
- Mahindra launches premium sports utility vehicle XUV500 - Sep 29, 2011
- M&M; logs 22 percent sales growth in August - Sep 01, 2012
- Mahindra to sell 120,000 SsangYong cars globally this year - Jun 22, 2011
- Mahindra to launch SsangYong SUVs by next year - Sep 05, 2011
- M&M; mulls Rs.4,000 crore investment in Tamil Nadu - Jun 01, 2012
- Mahindra & Mahindra grows 19 percent in July - Aug 01, 2012
- Mahindra receives more than 5,000 bookings for XUV5OO - Oct 07, 2011
- Mercedes to increase investments to Rs.850 crore - Sep 05, 2012
- Mahindra to hike XUV500 models' price from next month - Dec 28, 2011
- Indian auto industry in top gear despite global gloom (Flashback 2009) - Dec 25, 2009
- Mahindra to re-open XUV bookings in January - Dec 03, 2011
- Auto, realty sectors unhappy at interest rate hike (Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- Advanced Bolero to attract more buyers - Sep 09, 2011