Auto lifters’ gang headed by retired army officer bustedMay 16th, 2010 - 7:07 pm ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, May 16 (IANS) The Ghaziabad police Sunday claimed to have busted a gang of auto-lifters headed by a retired Indian Army officer, who is on the run.
Lt.Colonel M.P. Singh, who retired from the army about 18 months ago, was running the gang for about a decade, police said.
While one person was arrested, his three accomplices, including the retired army officer himself, managed to evade arrest. A police subinspector has been suspended for dereliction of duty.
The gang was busted on a tip off, police added.
Police recovered 11 luxury cars along with fake documents from the possession of the arrested man.
The arrested man has been identified as Nagad Narayan alias Ram Singh, a resident of Afaur Tola in Bihar. Narayan confessed that he prepared forged documents for the stolen vehicles.
The third accomplice of Lt.Col. M.P. Singh, Raj Kumar alias Munna, a resident of Marchhiya in Bihar,normally drove the stolen vehicles. The fourth member of the gang, Sanjay alias Ravi Shankar, a resident of Patna in Bihar, would steal cars and hand them over to his accomplices.
“Some customers who came to know that they had been sold stolen cars surrendered their cars to the police voluntarily. Subinspector Pankaj Verma, who failed to arrest Lt.Col. M.P. Singh, has been suspended. The hunt to arrest the remaining members of his gang is on and Narayan has been sent to jail,” a senior police officer said.
- Car thieves led by ex-army officer busted (Second Lead) - May 16, 2010
- Auto thieves led by ex-army officer busted (Lead) - May 16, 2010
- Gang of inter-state robbers busted - May 13, 2010
- Police official among three nabbed for car lifting - Jan 02, 2011
- Student leads gang of auto thieves - Jun 02, 2012
- Chandigarh hit and run: 19-year-old girl arrested (Lead) - Aug 18, 2010
- Haryana police busts gang of highway robbers - May 05, 2012
- Five youth held for vehicle thefts - Feb 02, 2011
- Auto-lifters' gang busted in Delhi, 12 stolen vehicles seized - Jul 05, 2009
- Tiger skins seized in Haryana, 5 held - Jul 20, 2011
- Chandigarh hit and run: Girl arrested, bailed out (Second Lead) - Aug 18, 2010
- Dealers in stolen vehicles arrested in Delhi - Jan 20, 2011
- Army man killed, six injured in Assam blast (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Car thieves held in Srinagar - Dec 01, 2011
- Seven of bikers gang arrested - Feb 24, 2010
Tags: accomplice, accomplices, alias, auto lifters, decade, dereliction of duty, fake documents, indian army, indian army officer, lt colonel, luxury cars, m p singh, patna, police officer, possession, ram singh, ravi shankar, sanjay, stolen cars, tola