Australia’s first Malayalam magazine set for launchJune 2nd, 2008 - 12:47 pm ICT by admin
Thiruvananthapuram, June 2 (IANS) The nearly 30,000 people from Kerala settled in Australia will be able to get news about their old home from the Indian Malayali - a Malayalam magazine that will be launched in Melbourne June 28. Speaking to IANS from Melbourne on telephone, Thiruvallam Bhasi, the editor of the magazine, said that it was his dream to bring out a Malayalam magazine in Australia.
“Though I launched an English magazine for Indian students last year, the idea of bringing out a Malayalam magazine was always in my mind and finally it is ready,” said Bhasi.
“The magazine will have special columns, features, political news and of course entertainment news. It will help to strengthen the bond between Keralites in Australia and their homeland. It will also help the Keralites here brush up their Malayalam,” he added.
There are about 30,000 people from Kerala in different provinces of Australia. Over 10,000 are in the state of Victoria of which Melbourne is the capital.
- Melbourne Malayalis donate blood for Onam - Aug 09, 2010
- Kerala scribe gets award in Australia - May 03, 2010
- 30,000 Indian students have left Australia: Student federation - Nov 27, 2010
- Kerala nursing students in Melbourne to protest new rules - Aug 10, 2010
- Enthusiastic voting in Kerala elections (Third Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Polling ends in Kerala, over 74 percent turnout (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Polling ends peacefully in Kerala, over 73 percent turnout - Apr 13, 2011
- Millions vote for new assembly in Kerala, Tamil Nadu (Afternoon Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Keralites hapless, angry over yet another shutdown - Sep 19, 2011
- Nearly 50 percent turnout in Kerala till 1 p.m. (Fourth Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- 'Indian minister should visit Australia over racial attacks' - Jun 09, 2009
- Irked at 'act poor' Australian advice, students write to PM - Feb 08, 2010
- Malayali diaspora buys lottery tickets worth Rs.100,000 - Feb 21, 2009
- 46 Indian students fled Australia in the past month - Jun 16, 2009
- Peaceful elections, high turnout in Tamil Nadu, Kerala (Roundup) - Apr 13, 2011