Australian spin inexperience will help India: HarbhajanSeptember 13th, 2008 - 5:44 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Sep 13 (IANS) Indian spinner Harbhajan Singh feels that Australia’s inexperience in the spin department will help India win the four-match Test series for the Border-Gavaskar Trophy .For the first time on India tour Australia will be without an experienced spinner and Harbhajan said uncapped spinners Bryce McGain and Jason Krejza will have a tough time against the Indian batsmen.
“We were always aware when we played Australia at home that Shane Warne was the main threat, and now that he is not there it is obviously good for us,” Harbhajan was quoted as saying by the Sydney Morning Herald.
“Warne and Stuart MacGill have both been great spin bowlers. There are no spinners in Australia of the quality of Warne and MacGill now, and I’m sure our batsmen, who are the best players of spin in the world, are going to have fun with this challenge,” he added.
Harbhajan has always tormented the Australians in the past two home Test series. The controversial finger spinner, who was charged for alleged racist remarks by Andrew Symonds during the Test series in Australia earlier this year, claimed a series-turning 32 wickets at 17.03 in the three-Test series of 2000-01 and 21 wickets at 24.00 in the corresponding series four years later.
“If you compare the team that Steve Waugh came with to now, it is obviously a lot different,” he said.
“It is obviously a big advantage to us that players like Adam Gilchrist, Glenn McGrath, Warne and Jason Gillespie are not around this time.
“I genuinely think that if we play to the level we’re capable of, we can defeat them. We know that whoever Australia pick, they will be a good team, whether Shane Warne is playing or not. They are still the No.1 ranked team in the world, and it is always a challenge to play them. But we think we have a very good chance, playing in our home conditions and with the crowds supporting us,” he said.
- MacGill returns to cricket with Big Bash League - Dec 02, 2011
- MacGill favours Hauritz, says Beer clearly not the best spinner - Jan 06, 2011
- Big Bash launch pales in comparison with IPL - Dec 17, 2011
- Stuart Macgill blasts Hilditch's Ashes selection - Dec 11, 2010
- Bhajji warns Oz rookie spinners against baptism by fire - Sep 13, 2008
- Spinners will be India's trump card at World T20: MacGill - Sep 18, 2012
- All pace attack recipe for disaster says Aussie leg-spinner McGain - Oct 14, 2009
- Smith not 'nervous' over 'baggy green' debut at Lord's Test against Pakistan - Jul 09, 2010
- Oz media blasts MacGill for targeting George, selectors - Oct 13, 2010
- North, not Hauritz should be Australia's first-choice spinner: MacGill - Nov 07, 2010
- Beer's selection proves Hilditch has 'officially lost the plot': MacGill - Dec 11, 2010
- Lyon becomes international off-spinner from a groundsman - Jul 26, 2011
- Krejza should be recalled for Ashes: Mark Waugh - Nov 14, 2010
- Sending George to make debut in India is like 'not giving him a chance': McGill - Oct 12, 2010
- MacGill endorses North for Ashes spinner''s job - Mar 25, 2009