Australian Open: Federer, Nadal cruise into quartersJanuary 22nd, 2012 - 7:25 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 22 (IANS) Roger Federer beat host-favourite teenager Bernard Tomic while Rafael Nadal defeated Spanish teammate Feliciano Lopez to enter the men’s singles quarterfinals of the Australian Open tennis tournament here.
The third-seed from Switzerland taught Tomic a good lesson in tennis, beating him 6-4, 6-2, 6-2 in the fourth round Sunday to set up an exciting last eight clash with Argentine Juan Martin Del Potro. The 11th seed eased past Germany’s Philipp Kohlschreiber 6-4, 6-2, 6-1.
Federer and Nadal got a step closer to a mouthwatering semifinal after the Spaniard dispatched Lopez 6-4, 6-4, 6-2 in another round of 16 contest. The number two seed next plays Czech Republic’s Thomas Berdych, who had to fight hard for a 4-6, 7-6, 7-6, 7-6 win against Spain’s Nicolas Almagro.
Defending champion Kim Clijsters saved four match points in the second set to register a 4-6, 7-6, 6-4 over China’s Li Na in the women’s singles fourth round.
The Belgian next plays World Number One Caroline Wozniacki in the quarterfinals. The Dane beat Serbia’s Jelena Jankovic 6-0, 7-5 in a late night match at Melbourne Park.
- Federer, Nadal in Australian Open quarters (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
- Top seeds have comfortable outing in Australian Open - Jan 20, 2012
- Murray's road to US Open title - Sep 11, 2012
- Jokovic struggles with court and qualifier before winning - May 09, 2012
- Australian Open: Azarenka eases into second round, Tomic beats Verdasco - Jan 16, 2012
- US Open: Nadal, Murray in last 16; Stosur vs. Zvonareva in women's quarters - Sep 05, 2011
- Wozniacki advances, Fish shocked in Australian Open (Roundup) - Jan 18, 2012
- US Open singles results - Aug 31, 2012
- US Open: Murray, Williams reach fourth round - Sep 02, 2012
- How Djokovic, Nadal reached French Open final - Jun 09, 2012
- Australian Open: Nadal overcomes Berdych, to meet Federer in semis (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2012
- Monfils advances in Stockholm Open as seeds crash out - Oct 21, 2011
- US Open: Radwanska ousted by Vinci - Sep 04, 2012
- Triumphant Nadal paces Spain into US Open quarter-finals - Sep 08, 2010
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
Tags: australian open, australian open federer, australian open tennis, australian open tennis tournament, bernard tomic, caroline wozniacki, czech republic, defending champion, federer nadal, jelena jankovic, kim clijsters, match points, melbourne park, nicolas almagro, open tennis tournament, philipp kohlschreiber, rafael nadal, roger federer, spaniard, thomas berdych