Australian media remind India of spirit of the gameOctober 22nd, 2008 - 8:38 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Oct 22 (IANS) The Australian media sees Zaheer Khan’s confrontation with Matthew Hayden in the Mohali Test as not in the “spirit” Indian captain Anil Kumble talked of during the summer’s controversial series Down Under.In a scathing attack on the Australian team after the Sydney Test, Kumble said “only one team played in the spirit of the game” after the home team’s controversial victory which saw questionable umpiring decisions.
Zaheer’s on-field behaviour in the Mohali Test, which India won by a record 320 runs was unwarranted, according to The Australian.
The fast bowler charged towards Hayden after the opener was dismissed in Australia’s second innings and had an animated chat. Zaheer was later fined 80 per cent of his match fee.
“India made a mockery of captain Kumble’s claim about playing in the spirit of game, with bowler Khan fined for abusing Matthew Hayden after he was dismissed,” the report said.
“When India lost a tight second Test in Sydney last January, Kumble created uproar when he claimed that only one team was playing in the spirit of the game. He was not talking about the Australians.”
The report said the Mohali incident reinforces India’s standing as the worst behaved team in the world over the past decade.
“While Indian cricketers often claim to be the aggrieved victim, India has had almost 50 separate International Cricket Council guilty verdicts against it over the past 10 years. This compares with Australia’s 30 or so.”
- First Test evenly poised as 15 wickets fall on third day (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
- India's batting falters again in Sydney (Second Lead) - Jan 03, 2012
- India will come back strongly in Sydney: Ganguly - Dec 30, 2011
- Cowan appeals to ICC for mandatory use of DRS - Dec 26, 2011
- India doesn't deserve to be No.1 Test team: Steve Waugh - Jul 28, 2010
- Sehwag, Zaheer hold key to India's Test series win against Australia: Chappell - Sep 27, 2010
- Clarke not averse to recalling Katich in Australian team - Dec 16, 2011
- Mohali Test: Zaheer leads Indian fight back to leave Oz reeling at 224/5 on Day One - Oct 01, 2010
- CA to investigate widespread doctoring of pitches by Oz domestic teams - Mar 18, 2011
- History beckons both India and Australia but spotlight remains on Tendulkar - Jan 02, 2012
- Australia bat in fourth Test - Jan 24, 2012
- Hayden returns to cricket with Big Bash League - Jul 25, 2011
- India must clear cobwebs in mind and play fearless cricket: Ganguly - Jan 12, 2012
- Dhoni and Clarke have made politically correct statements (Comment) - Dec 25, 2011
- Harris pulled himself out of contention for Boxing Day Test - Dec 22, 2011