Australian ex-PM supports move for uranium sale to IndiaDecember 3rd, 2011 - 7:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 3 (IANS) Former Australian prime minister John Howard Saturday supported the move by his country’s governent to lift ban on sale of uranium to India, and said he would have pursued the same policy had his government been re-elected in 2007.
Speaking at an interactive session at the Hindustan Times Leadership Summit here, Howard said he had reached an understanding with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on sale of uranium during his visit to India in 2006 and would have pursued the decision if his government was re-elected.
“I strongly support the indication given by the current Australian government that it would lift the ban that was placed on uranium exports to India,” he said.
Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard told Manmohan Singh during their meeting on the sidelines of ASEAN and East Asia Summit that she would take forward her proposal to lift ban on uranium sales to India.
Gillard had said earlier that her ruling Labor Party’s platform prevents the government from selling uranium to India as it was not a signatory to the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty (NPT) but that the time had come to change the position.
Howard said he strongly supported the move, but added that four years have been lost in the process.
“It always seemed absurd to me that we could sell uranium to China and Russia, but could not sell uranium to the largest democracy in the world,” he said.
To a question about incidents of attack on Indian students in Australia, Howard said the media here got a lot of its reports “wrong”, but added that any such violence was regrettable.
“There is full rigour of Australian law for attack on anybody,” he said.
- India welcomes Australian Labor Party move on uranium sale - Dec 04, 2011
- PM and Gillard meet, discuss sale of uranium (Lead) - Nov 19, 2011
- Manmohan meets Gillard, discusses uranium issue - Nov 19, 2011
- Australia relents on lifting uranium ban, India hails move (Second Lead) - Nov 15, 2011
- Australian signals lifting uranium ban, India hails move - Nov 15, 2011
- Australian ruling party votes for uranium sale to India - Dec 04, 2011
- Pakistan not to get Australian uranium: Envoy - May 18, 2012
- Pakistan wants equal treatment from Australia on uranium - Dec 05, 2011
- Obama denies asking Australia to sell uranium to India - Nov 16, 2011
- Aussie media lobbies for uranium for India - Oct 29, 2011
- Krishna to go to Australia, uranium sale, FTA on agenda - Jan 13, 2011
- No Australian uranium for Pakistan: Gillard (Interview) - Jan 13, 2012
- Krishna to renew pitch for uranium sale in Australia - Jan 17, 2011
- Australian minister denies secret uranium talks with India - Oct 14, 2011
- India will need 5,057 tonnes uranium in 12th Plan - Dec 21, 2011
Tags: australian prime minister, australian prime minister john howard, east asia summit, hindustan times, indian students, interactive session, julia gillard, leadership summit, manmohan, manmohan singh, minister john howard, non proliferation treaty, nuclear non proliferation, nuclear non proliferation treaty, prime minister john, prime minister john howard, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, uranium exports, uranium sales