Australian charged with selling pirated Indian DVDsSeptember 4th, 2008 - 3:24 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Sep 4 (IANS) A 63-year-old Melbourne resident has been charged with importing and selling Australian $220,000 ($183,000) worth pirated movie and music DVDs, some allegedly imported from India among other countries.According to the Australian Federal Police (AFP), the man is said to sold the DVDs imported from various countries, including India, China, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Singapore and the US.
The investigation began after the Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft (AFACT) located a suspicious seller of DVDs on an internet auction website. More than 5,000 copies of movies and music DVDs were seized from the man’s home.
“The AFP is working closely with its industry partners to disrupt organised intellectual property crime. This investigation shows that criminals, who seek to sell unauthorised copies for financial gain, risk facing criminal prosecution,” AFP national manager for economic and special operations Warren Gray said.
The maximum penalty for these offences is five years imprisonment and/or a fine of $60,500 per infringement.
In October last year, customs officers in Sydney had seized more than 11,000 pirated Indian movie DVDs. The Bollywood counterfeits were in two commercial consignments from Singapore.
- California man sentenced to four years in jail for criminal copyright infringement - Dec 15, 2010
- Gang selling pirating movie, music CDs busted - Jun 26, 2012
- Pirated CDs' cache seized in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 15, 2011
- Bulldozer crushes 400,000 pirated CDs in Cambodia - Jan 06, 2010
- China cracks 28,000 IPR violation cases - Nov 06, 2011
- Wikipedia, Google join anti-piracy bill protest (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Two held with 5,000 pirated CDs in Chandigarh - Feb 27, 2011
- Over 4,700 pirated CDs seized, two held - Mar 04, 2011
- Piracy causes $1 bn loss to Indian entertainment industry - Aug 21, 2010
- Want to combat piracy? Go for John Doe order - May 25, 2012
- Two held with 4,500 pirated CDs - Apr 14, 2011
- Chinese writers target App Store - Mar 20, 2012
- Briton faces extradition over pirated movie website - Jan 14, 2012
- US lists Delhi's Nehru Place among 30 'notorious markets' - Dec 21, 2011
- 15,000 pirated CDs, DVDs seized, seven held - Dec 25, 2010