Australian breast implant rupture cases on riseApril 5th, 2012 - 5:22 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, April 5 (IANS) A rising number of cases of ruptured PIP breast implants among Australian women are coming to light, with nearly 50 new cases reported in March pushing the tally to 220.
According to Australia’s regulatory agency for medical drugs and devices — Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA), there have now been 220 confirmed cases of the faulty implants rupturing, and 31 unconfirmed cases, the Australian reported Thursday.
This is up from 171 confirmed and 26 unconfirmed cases a month ago.
It comes after authorities found French company Poly Implant Prothese (PIP) used industrial rather than medical-grade silicon gel.
Between 300,000 and 400,000 women in 65 countries are believed to have PIP breast implants, with about 6,000 of those in Australia.
The Australian government has advised that routine removal of the implants is unnecessary when there is no evidence of rupture.
The TGA says its testing of the implants to date has not found any evidence that the risks are higher in PIP implants than any other silicone gel-filled brand.
- Cancer cases found in women with French brand implants - Dec 31, 2011
- Breast implants recalled over rupturing fear - Apr 04, 2010
- 100,000 UK women in danger of their breast implants rupturing - Apr 18, 2011
- Women with breast implants alerted to cancer risk - Dec 03, 2011
- France advises breast implant removal over cancer risk - Dec 24, 2011
- No breast implant ruptures reported in China - Jan 07, 2012
- Dutch women advised to remove breast implants - Jan 12, 2012
- 1,500 Venezuelan women sue breast implant firm - Jan 11, 2012
- Your breast implants could explode: experts - Apr 04, 2010
- Alert for women who had breast implants - Dec 21, 2011
- Breast implants may need to be rechecked - Jun 19, 2010
- Brit women given boob job blast warning - Jun 19, 2010
- Breast implants linked to a rare form of blood cancer - Jan 27, 2011
- Dodgy breast implants not likely to explode, say experts - Sep 04, 2010
- Do women with silicone breast implants require follow-Up MRI scans? - Mar 29, 2011
Tags: australia, australian government, australian women, authorities, breast implant rupture, breast implants, french company, medical drugs, medical grade silicon, pip implants, regulatory agency, silicon gel, silicone gel, sydney, tally, therapeutic goods administration