Australian Army chief sued over cadet’s deathJune 6th, 2008 - 4:43 pm ICT by IANS
By Neena Bhandari
Sydney, June 6 (IANS) The chief of the Australian Army is being sued over the death of 13-year-old Nathan Francis, who died after suffering a peanut allergy attack last year at a cadet camp. Francis, who was on a cadet camp in the Wombat State Forest March 30 last year, died at the Royal Children’s Hospital three hours after partly eating a peanut-based food pouch supplied by the army.
According to reports, Francis’ mother had notified the army cadet unit that her son was allergic to peanut.
The Commonwealth occupational health and safety authority (Comcare) has stated in a writ lodged Friday that Francis reacted immediately and spat out something.
It is seeking the enforcement of a pecuniary penalty against the army chief in his capacity as the employer of members of the Australian Army Cadets, according to Australian Associated Press (AAP).
It is alleged that breaches include the supply and consumption of ration packs, risks to health and safety, supervision and breaches of duty. Each breach carries penalties of A$242,000, reports AAP.
- Breast fed kids to develop nut allergies - Jul 13, 2012
- Possible treatment for peanut allergy identified - Dec 10, 2010
- No need to ban peanuts in schools, airlines: Study - Nov 15, 2010
- American Millionaire donates $8 million for Australian wombats - Sep 23, 2010
- Study: Peanuts should be avoided during Pregnancy - Nov 02, 2010
- Gene defect that can triple peanut allergy risk identified - Mar 12, 2011
- Children, males and blacks at high risk of food allergies - Oct 04, 2010
- Food allergies linked to higher risk of asthma attacks - Oct 04, 2010
- Nestle recalls candy over health concerns - Oct 26, 2010
- 'India focus for allergy research' - Sep 02, 2012
- Low-allergy peanuts on the anvil - Jun 08, 2010
- Cure for peanut allergy may lie in peanuts - Sep 07, 2010
- How kissing can spread allergies too! - Nov 15, 2010
- Beware: A kiss could trigger allergic reaction - Nov 21, 2010
- Ant bite nearly kills man - Nov 03, 2010