Australian architect to perform Odissi in MalaysiaJuly 6th, 2008 - 4:53 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, July 6 (IANS) Nidhya Sakathevan, an Australia-based architect, is to stage an Odissi dance performance in Malaysia Saturday . Kuala Lumpur-born Nidhya, 27, the New Straits Times said, initially learnt Bharatanatyam from her mother, Amritha Devi of the Amrithanjali Dance Academy.
Odissi originates from India’s Orissa state and Bharatanatyam from Tamil Nadu. They are popular in Malaysia and other Southeast Asian countries because of the cultural affinity.
Nidhya was trained in Odissi by Perlis-born Guru Chandrabhanu, who has opened a school in Melbourne.
Nidhya, who graduated with an architecture degree from Melbourne University in 2005, also learnt carnatic music and the violin.
Come Saturday, she will perform a complete Odissi programme.
“There are seven to eight dances in the programme, unlike three to four in most Odissi showcases,” Chandrabhanu said.
He said the major dances in the programme included the Pallavi, which was elaborate and challenging; the Dashavatar, which re-enacted the 10 reincarnations of Krishna; the Oriya Abhinaya, which was accompanied by Oriya music; the sensuous Geeta Govinda Ashtapadi, which celebrates the love of Krishna and Radha; and the Panchakshara Stotram, which honours the five activities of Shiva.
- Indian classical dance now a global heritage (Feature with images) - Aug 08, 2010
- Foreign feet on India's traditional dance floor - May 01, 2011
- Malaysian artist to perform Odissi dance in US - Mar 15, 2011
- Hema Malini, daughters to perform at Khajuraho festival - Jan 31, 2011
- Dancer Mansingh celebrates the Golden Jubilee of her career in Delhi - Feb 23, 2011
- Malaysians to graduate in Indian classical music - Jun 07, 2010
- Indian dancer Roja Kannan to perform in Malaysia - May 14, 2009
- Emerging as 'kathakar' for first time publicly: Sonal Mansingh - Feb 21, 2011
- Tabu in Kuala Lumpur to support 'The Saroj Khan Dance Academy' - Aug 09, 2010
- From classical roots to free flow in Indian dance (With Images) - Aug 23, 2012
- Odissi dance animates Malaysian painter's work - Apr 17, 2011
- An Argentine who dedicated five decades to Indian dance (With images) - Dec 28, 2011
- Dancing to Indian tunes with an American soul (Feature) (With Image) - Jul 06, 2012
- Little India lights up to receive Manmohan, Razak (Second Lead) - Oct 26, 2010
- 555 artists perform Odissi to create world record - Dec 23, 2011