Australia recognizes KosovoFebruary 19th, 2008 - 6:43 pm ICT by admin
Sydney, Feb 19 (DPA) Australia formally recognized Kosovo and would soon establish diplomatic relations, Foreign Minister Stephen Smith said Tuesday. Belgrade is expected to respond by recalling Serbian Ambassador to Australia Milivoje Glisic.
Glisic said he did not anticipate a permanent severance of diplomatic relations between Australia and Serbia.
“We are sorry about that decision, and such hurry, since we have traditionally good relations with Australia,” he said.
“Belgrade will not cut diplomatic ties with Australia. I suppose I will be called back to Belgrade for the consultations, as it has already been done with the Serbian ambassadors in states which have recognized the unilaterally declared and illegal independence of Kosovo and Metohija.”
Metohija refers to the southwest region of Kosovo.
While the move won favour with the Albanian immigrant community, Michael McKinley from the Australian National University said it could put Australia offside with Russia, China, Romania, Spain and other countries concerned at the precedent being set.
McKinley said the government ought to have waited until the UN Security Council met before recognizing Kosovo.
“It also basically sidelines the United Nations, which is something I didn’t think this government was going to be particularly interested in,” he said.
- Serbian state TV website hacked - Jul 03, 2010
- Russia calls on EU, NATO over military actions in Kosovo north - Aug 10, 2011
- Kosovo secession legal, rules International Court of Justice - Jul 23, 2010
- Serbia finds 250 Albanians in mass grave - May 10, 2010
- Kosovo President Sejdiu resigns after violating constitution - Sep 28, 2010
- Serbia arrests 10 for 1999 Kosovo killings - Dec 27, 2008
- Russia warns against training Syrian rebels in Kosovo - May 15, 2012
- Serbians rally to show support to quake-hit Japanese - Apr 11, 2011
- Denver Broncos Wide Receiver Kenny McKinley Found Dead In His Apartment - Sep 21, 2010
- Climate change stifling ocean's carbon uptake - Jul 11, 2011
- Minimising cellphone power consumption possible - Jan 22, 2012
- Ricky Martin to be teacher in TV series - Feb 07, 2012
- Italy to invest 2 bn euros in Serbian energy projects - Oct 27, 2011
- India not to recognize Kosovo - Aug 09, 2010
- Serbia confers top award to Djokovic - Feb 15, 2012
Tags: albanian, ambassador, ambassadors, belgrade, consultations, diplomatic relations, diplomatic ties, dpa, favour, foreign minister, hurry, immigrant community, kosovo, michael mckinley, offside, severance, sidelines, southwest region, stephen smith, un security council