Australia has assured protection to Indian students: KrishnaMay 29th, 2009 - 6:42 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, May 29 (IANS) The Australian government Friday assured India it will protect Indian students from racial attacks in Melbourne and bring the culprits of recent attacks to justice, Indian External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna said here.
“Australian Foreign Minister Stephen Francis Smith spoke to me this afternoon. He assured me that Indian students would be protected from such attacks and the culprits would be brought to justice,” Krishna told reporters at his house in this tech hub.
Expressing concern over the unabated attacks, he said the Indian High Commission in Sydney was in constant touch with the Australian government and efforts were on to ensure safety of Indian students.
“Australia is a peace-loving country. I think it is an isolated incident. I told the minister (Smith) to ensure the safety of Indians studying there. Measures are being taken to prevent such racial attacks against our students,” Krishna noted.
Noting that there was a need to build confidence among the students who were caught in the vortex of such racial attacks, Krishna said the Indian high commission was directed to extend all help to the victims and take measures to maintain peace and harmony.
“India stands for friendly relations with all countries. We are for peaceful co-existence and cooperation. I am told there are about 80,000 Indian students pursuing their academic career in Australia,” Krishna averred.
Five Indian students were assaulted in allegedly racial attacks in Melbourne this week, leading to outrage in India.
- Worried India summons Australian envoy over attacks on Indian students (Roundup) - May 29, 2009
- Manmohan speaks to Rudd, seeks assurance on Indians' safety in Australia (Intro Roundup) - May 29, 2009
- No fresh attacks on Indian students in Australia: Sibal - Aug 27, 2010
- Australia assures Krishna of taking a number of measures to protect Indian students - Aug 11, 2009
- Australia Issues Report on Crimes Against Foreign Students - Aug 12, 2011
- Indian envoy called to discuss Australia attacks - Feb 03, 2010
- Australia committed to bring perpetrators of attacks on Indian nationals to justice, says Smith - Mar 03, 2010
- India, Australia to talk students' safety, Games security (Second Lead) - Mar 02, 2010
- India urges Australia for action on attacks Down Under (Third Lead) - Mar 04, 2010
- Attacks on Indians in Australia inexcusable: Foreign Minister Smith - Feb 09, 2010
- India calls Australian envoy over attacks on Indian students - May 29, 2009
- India to Australia: Failure to check attacks will strain ties (Lead) - Jan 11, 2010
- Australia wants more students from India: Envoy - Feb 22, 2010
- India presses Australia for 'effective action' against attacks (Second Lead) - Mar 03, 2010
- Australia has zero tolerance for racist attacks: Smith - Mar 02, 2010