Australia concerned at trafficking in Indian childrenAugust 23rd, 2008 - 12:03 am ICT by IANS
Sydney, Aug 22 (IANS) Australia Friday expressed concern at and offered to assist with investigations into claims that “pretty” children kidnapped from Indian slums have been adopted by families in this country.”I am aware of allegations regarding child trafficking and share concerns for the safety of children adopted from overseas. I have asked my department to make direct contact with the Indian authorities and provide me with a brief on any potential legal issues arising in India and Australia”, Australian Attorney General Robert McClelland said.
“I will ensure that any matters arising are duly acted upon by my department and, where relevant, are passed on for states and territories to implement”, McClelland added.
According to a report in TIME Magazine, at least 120 children were kidnapped from slums in southern India and sold to a Chennai-based adoption agency Malaysian Social Services (MSS) for as little as $280 before being sent overseas. Nearly a dozen of these children have ended up being adopted in Australia.
According to the magazine, Indian mother Fatima, whose two-year-old daughter Zabeen was allegedly kidnapped seven years ago, was discovered by police in India to have been processed by MSS, with the girl adopted by a family in the state of Queensland.
Queensland Child Safety Minister Margaret Keech told the Australian Associated Press: “This is a terrible predicament for a family who loves their adoptive children. Adoption Services Queensland (ASQ) will offer any assistance it can to Indian, federal and state agencies investigating the claims.”
“We were not aware of the child kidnap allegations until last year. Adoption Services Queensland conducted an audit of Indian children who were adopted into Queensland between 1995 and 2007. Only two of the 23 adoptions were found to be processed through MSS,” Keech added.
- Queensland family 'devastated' by Indian child trafficking claims - Aug 25, 2008
- Poor Indian kids kidnapped for adoption in Australia scam unearthed - Aug 22, 2008
- Poor Indian kids kidnapped for adoption in Australia - Aug 22, 2008
- Poor children adopted in Australia were stolen from India, reveals Time magazine - Aug 23, 2008
- Queensland premier fails to recall cases of Indian kids stolen for adoption - Aug 25, 2008
- CBI unearths child kidnapping racket, Australian family stunned (Lead) - Aug 25, 2008
- Australia wants to stamp out forced marriages - Nov 22, 2010
- Assange blames Oz govt. of providing information about WikiLeaks staff to US - Feb 13, 2011
- Oz Government says WikiLeaks disclosures likely to be illegal - Dec 09, 2010
- Self-regulation can help at-risk children perform better at academics - Apr 28, 2010
- Assange bitterly disappointed with Oz Govt over barring his entry to country - Dec 05, 2010
- Bob Carr is Australia's new foreign minister - Mar 02, 2012
- Australia conducting review to beef up law to tackle Internet racism - Feb 21, 2010
- Australians risk losing adopted Indian children - Aug 25, 2008
- Australian Govt orders probe into Google's 'biggest breach in the history of privacy' - Jun 07, 2010