Australia claims world’s largest ecstasy seizureAugust 8th, 2008 - 12:45 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Aug 8 (DPA) Australian police Friday arrested 16 people and seized 4.4 tonnes of ecstasy in what is claimed to be the world’s single largest haul of the party drug. The investigation began in June last year when a shipping container of tinned tomatoes from Italy arrived in Melbourne. The tins were found to contain ecstasy pills with a street value of $400 million.
The tins were put under surveillance. Another shipment of drugs, this time 150 kg of cocaine, arrived in Melbourne a year later.
The shipments, believed to be linked, prompted a nationwide dragnet in which 45 search warrants were executed and 16 people arrested and charged.
- One tonne cocaine seized in Italy - Aug 19, 2011
- Two tonnes of cocaine found in coffee bags - Jul 25, 2010
- 630 kg cocaine seized in Italy - Jun 09, 2012
- Dozens of mafia men held in pan-European drugs bust - Jun 04, 2012
- 10 tonnes of hashish seized in Karachi - Nov 16, 2011
- Hong Kong seizes $98 million cocaine - Jul 07, 2012
- Colombia seizes 2.6 tonnes of cocaine - Jun 06, 2012
- Nearly 200 kg cocaine seized in Italy port - Sep 08, 2012
- 175 kg cocaine seized in France - Jul 19, 2011
- Spain busts gang that hid drugs in babies' diapers - Nov 29, 2011
- It's official: Guatemala now a drug-producing country - Aug 16, 2012
- Over 1 tonne of cocaine seized in Spain - Mar 05, 2010
- Four tonnes of cocaine seized in Peru - Apr 24, 2010
- Punjab drug scene hits a new 'high' - Nov 22, 2010
- 20 kg cocaine seized at Hungary airport - Mar 14, 2012