Australia awards 26 high achieving IndiansFebruary 23rd, 2012 - 4:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 23 (IANS) With a steep rise in the number of Indian students seeking admission to Australia, students and researchers from diverse backgrounds have won awards to study in Australia.
Twentysix Indian students, professionals and researchers received scholarships from Australian High Commissioner Peter Varghese Wednesday.
These include three prestigious Prime Minister Australia-Asia Awards.
“The Australia Awards facilitate the sharing of knowledge, strengthen mutual understanding between our two nations and build international networks, which continue long after the scholars have returned to India,” Varghese said.
“Our education relationship, underpinned by people-to-people and institutional connections, is a crucial part of our broader Australia India strategic partnership,” he added.
The awardees will undertake study or research at the vocational, postgraduate and postdoctoral level or undertake professional development across diverse fields such as sciences, biotechnology, medicine and environment among others.
A major decline was noted in the number of Indian students going to Australia in 2010-11 after over 100 incidents of attacks on Indians in 2009 and 2010 in Australia.
According to officials, a 30 percent increase has been noticed, compared to last year, in the number of student applications for Australian universities.
A total of 291 Indian scholars and professionals have been awarded the Australia Awards since 2007.
- Oz envoy launches book to celebrate significant achievements of Indians Down Under - Feb 17, 2011
- Australia sees rise in Indian students' applications (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Seven Indian students get prestigious Australian scholarship - Sep 21, 2010
- Seven Indians win Australian scholarship - Sep 21, 2010
- Seven Indians awarded Australian scholarship (Lead) - Sep 21, 2010
- Australia sees rise in Indian students' applications - Feb 21, 2012
- 5 Indians to study Australian diversity, Indian experience - May 28, 2010
- Faster, easier Australian visas for students - Sep 22, 2011
- Britain announces 60 new scholarships for Indians - Mar 28, 2012
- Australia announces Endeavour Awards - May 15, 2009
- 'Amitabh has made inestimable contribution to global cinema' - Oct 20, 2011
- Two Indians get Australia-India Council Young Media Fellowships - Jan 15, 2010
- India,Australia FMs underline importance of strong bonds,enduring shared interests (Part II) - Oct 13, 2009
- Australia to give detailed report to India on action taken against perpetrators - Sep 25, 2009
- Indian students' flow to Australia radically down: Envoy - Jan 14, 2011
Tags: australia india, australian high commissioner, australian universities, commissioner peter, education relationship, going to australia, indian scholars, indian students, indians, international networks, mutual understanding, New Delhi, postdoctoral level, prime minister, professional development, scholarships, steep rise, strategic partnership, student applications, varghese