Australia A recalls Shaun TaitAugust 30th, 2008 - 5:06 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Aug 30 (IANS) Express fast bowler Shaun Tait has been recalled in the Australia ‘A’ team for the triangular ODI series in India next month.Tait is one of the four replacements for the Australia A side that plays two three-day matches against India from Sep 3. The tri-series, involving the A squads of Australia, New Zealand and the hosts will begin Sep 15.
“He (Tait) has been training extremely well at the recent player camp in Brisbane and is fully aware of the opportunity this one-day tour provides,” chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch was quoted as saying in The Australian.
Mentally fatigued Tait temporarily quit the game in January and did not begin bowling again until last month but the national selectors have continued to show faith in him. Tait will head off to India as part of a 14-man squad without having played for South Australia this season.
“I am looking forward to playing again. I have had a relaxed off-season. I am feeling good and am enjoying rolling my arm over in the nets,” Tait said.
“I am not expecting huge things but it is a great opportunity and it will feel good to be back on the field.”
Tait had not played Test cricket since two awkward performances in his debut series during the 2005 Ashes series in England, so when he was picked for the third Test against India in Perth during January he could not have been more excited. But he went into his first Test in two-and-a-half years with a dodgy hamstring, which limited his performance, and he went wicketless.
Tait will depart for India as Australia A captain Simon Katich and spinners Bryce McGain, Jason Krejza and Beau Casson return following the conclusion of the second three-day match in Hyderabad Sep 11.
Squad member Cameron White will replace Katich as captain for the one-day matches while Tasmanians Brett Geeves and Xavier Doherty will join Tait in the one-day squad.
“The initial 14-man squad included three spinners to gain experience,” Hilditch said.
“Katich’s involvement in Indian conditions was seen as the ideal preparation for him to push his case for selection in the Indian Test series to take place in October.”
- Axeing of Katich is unfathomable: McGain - Jun 16, 2011
- Lee, Tait recalled for first ODI against England - Jan 11, 2011
- Tait to launch comeback via Australia A tour in India - Aug 29, 2008
- Hauritz doubtful for England series, World Cup - Jan 22, 2011
- Doherty to replace injured Hauritz for next two ODIs against England - Jan 22, 2011
- Injured Hussey, Hauritz out of Australia's World Cup squad - Feb 08, 2011
- Edwards out, Ramdin returns as Windies vice captain - Jul 23, 2012
- Spinners Hauritz, Doherty to face off for World Cup spot - Jan 11, 2011
- Johnson dropped from Australian XI for second Ashes Test? - Dec 01, 2010
- Six changes to Windies A-team for one-dayers against India A - Jun 27, 2012
- Katich slams CA, denies Clarke's hand in sacking - Jun 10, 2011
- Hilditch backs Haddin for Ashes comeback - Sep 03, 2010
- Tait backs CA's one spinner policy for World Cup - Jan 19, 2011
- Windies begin final preparations for World T20 - Sep 01, 2012
- Tait proves fitness, Ferguson added to Oz squad for ODIs against England - Feb 01, 2011