Austerity, Prince Philip styleSeptember 1st, 2008 - 10:44 am ICT by IANS
London, Sep 1 (IANS) Call it an effect of the credit crunch or a personal whim, the manner in which Queen Elizabeth’s consort takes care of his clothes has become the talk of the town.Prince Philip recently sent for his Saville Row tailor, no, not to order a new pair of trousers, but to alter one he first wore 51 years ago.
Tailor John Kent was asked to change a favourite pair from the baggy style more popular in the 1950s into something more contemporary.
The original suit was made of heavyweight worsted cloth, with a distinctive grey and brown herring-bone stripe. According to The Telegraph, the seams have now been unpicked and resewn to narrow the legs.
Patrick Grant, one of the directors of the firm Norton & Sons, who Kent works for, said: “About six weeks ago, the Prince sent him a pair of trousers that he wanted recutting to give a slimmer, more fashionable look.”
“The prince likes substantial cloth. He certainly gets plenty of wear out of all his clothes,” he added.
The prince is known to keep some of his favourite items of clothing for years, repairing or altering when necessary.
At naval events he is often seen in the same uniform that he wore at his wedding in 1947, while he is also praised for managing to maintain his waist size even aged 87.
He is still lauded by fashion experts for his impeccable taste, and in the latest list of the best-dressed men in Britain, compiled by GQ magazine, he appeared at number 33.
Buckingham Palace did not comment on the incident, saying it was the prince’s personal matter.
- Kate Middleton wears red Alexander McQueen dress for Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations - Jun 04, 2012
- Indian tailor from Ahmedabad now dresses 'Who's Who' in US - Jun 30, 2010
- Retro to Hawaiian with a twist: Summer fashion for men - May 22, 2012
- Bieber's pink underwear exposed - Nov 24, 2011
- Prince Charles is world's best-dressed man as London beats Mumbai - Mar 05, 2009
- Irrfan Khan walks ramp for Rohit-Abhishek at mens week - Sep 04, 2011
- Prince Harry had secret pocket stitched in to secure wedding ring - May 03, 2011
- Rahul Mishra named best womenswear designer - May 08, 2012
- WIFW grand finale - a tale of simplicity, sophistication - Mar 29, 2010
- Prateik is very spontaneous: Kalki Koelchin - Oct 09, 2011
- Experts say Thorpe's peak years are over - Feb 04, 2011
- Coleen Rooney launches her first fashion range for Littlewoods - Feb 16, 2011
- Becks' 8-yr-old son features on Britain's best-dressed men list - Jan 04, 2011
- McConaughey likes simple fashion - Aug 22, 2012
- Fashion for me is comfort: Irfan Pathan - Apr 12, 2012