Attempt to usurp Pakistani gurdwara foiledFebruary 26th, 2012 - 1:50 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 26 (IANS) An attempt to occupy an 18th century gurdwara in Pakistan’s Punjab province has been foiled, a media report said Sunday.
The police stepped in when a group of five women who claimed themselves as Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) activists tried to occupy the 18th-century gurdwara in Sori Gali near Ghaa Mandi Saturday, reported Dawn.
Their leader and former councillor, Romana Safdar Gujari, told the police that she had close contact with Nawaz Sharif’s son-in-law. She also claimed that the Gurdwara Singh Sabah property had been allotted to her by the Evacuee Trust Property Board (ETPB) on lease.
The PML-N, however, said she did not belong to their party.
The gurdwara now houses a civil defence post and the women were later arrested.
Gurdwara Singh Sabah was constructed during British rule.
Iqbal Qasir, Punjabi Khoj Garh director, told Dawn that the gurdwara was built by local Sikhs without any funds from the Akal Takht. After partition in 1947, the building was allotted to the civil defence department.
“We condemn all such attempts. I again request the Pakistan government to handover all gurdwaras to the committee so that we take care of religious sites with honour and dignity,” Robinder Singh, Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee member, was quoted as saying.
Pakistan has several gurdwaras, including Nankana Sahib where Sikh religion founder Guru Nanak Dev was born.
Minorities form approximately four percent of Pakistan’s population of nearly 180 million.
- Sikhs barred from Pakistan gurdwara - Jul 20, 2011
- Pakistan Gurdwara invitation for Guru Nanak Dev 541st birth anniversary - Oct 22, 2010
- Sikhs in Pakistan protest against plaza construction on gurdwara land - Mar 24, 2011
- 4,000 Sikhs reach Pakistan for Nanak's birth anniversary - Nov 19, 2010
- 500 Indian Sikh pilgrims to observe Maharaja Ranjeet Singh's death anniversary in Pak - Jun 20, 2009
- Guru Nanak's birth anniversary celebrated in Pakistan - Nov 21, 2010
- Delay in acquisition of land for proposed Guru Nanak Dev University in Pakistan - Nov 20, 2010
- Indian Sikh devotees reach Nankana Sahib amid massive confusion - Nov 01, 2009
- Pakistani Sikh parents demand separate Gurumukhi school for their kids - Jan 23, 2009
- Hindus to celebrate Shivaratri in Pakistan - Feb 17, 2012
- 3,000 Indian Sikhs to visit Pakistan - Apr 11, 2011
- 3,000 Sikhs to visit Pakistan on Baisakhi - Apr 04, 2012
- Sikhs put off protest as Pak Govt cancels 'plaza construction on gurdwara land' deal - Mar 25, 2011
- 350 Sikhs reach Pakistan for Ranjit Singh anniversary - Jun 22, 2012
- PML-N decides to remove PPP ministers from Pak Punjab govt - Feb 23, 2011
Tags: akal takht, civil defence, close contact, defence department, five women, gali, gurdwara, gurdwaras, guru nanak dev, nawaz sharif, pakistan government, pakistan muslim league, pakistan muslim league nawaz, pml n, punjab province, religious sites, sabah, sahib, sikhs, trust property