Attack on Kerala professor: Accused in Middle-EastSeptember 16th, 2011 - 5:53 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Sep 16 (IANS) Those accused of assaulting a Kerala college professor whose right palm was chopped off are hiding in the Middle-East, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) said Friday.
T.J. Joseph’s right palm was chopped off allegedly by Muslim fundamentalists in July last year when he was returning from a Sunday mass with his family members.
The first accused M.K. Nassar and seven others are hiding in the Middle-East, said the agency in a special affidavit to an NIA court.
The NIA will now seek the help of the Interpol to extradite the accused, the affidavit stated.
Joseph’s palm was chopped off allegedly by activists of the Popular Front of India (PFI). They were outraged at a reference to Prophet Mohammed in a question paper he prepared for second year B.Com students for an internal examination of Newman College, Thodupuzha.
The NIA will issue a lookout notice for the accused, besides investigating if they received any foreign funds for the crime.
More than two dozen PFI activists were arrested earlier and some of them are now out on bail.
Police seized incriminating documents from PFI offices.
Joseph’s hand was stitched back.
- In attack on Kerala professor, police name 54 accused - Jan 14, 2011
- Cops summon top PFI leaders in chopping case - Aug 06, 2010
- Police summon Kerala PFI chief in hand-chopping case - Aug 09, 2010
- Kerala teacher loses job after right palm chopped off - Sep 04, 2010
- Bail denied to six who chopped off Kerala teacher's palm - Sep 08, 2010
- Radical group's march banned in Kerala town - Jul 16, 2010
- Kerala HC rejects bail plea of 7 PFI activists in lecturer attack case - Sep 08, 2010
- Church circular wrong, says dismissed Kerala teacher - Sep 12, 2010
- Pressure mounts on Kerala college to reinstate teacher - Sep 10, 2010
- Lashkar-e-Toiba preparing to attack India from coast: Pillai - Sep 06, 2010
- Kerala government soft on extremist outfits: BJP - Jul 19, 2010
- Controversial question paper: Professor's hand cut off - Jul 04, 2010
- Decision to ban radical group after central report: Kerala - Jul 22, 2010
- Assault on Kerala professor: Al Qaeda CD found - Jul 09, 2010
- Kerala becoming a centre of Islamic fundamentalists: BJP - Jul 12, 2010
Tags: activists, affidavit, college professor, family members, India, interpol, investigation agency, kochi, lookout, middle east, muslim fundamentalists, nassar, national investigation, newman college, palm, pfi, popular front, prophet mohammed, question paper, sunday mass