ATM with Rs.7.60 lakh hijacked in PuneJuly 5th, 2011 - 3:52 pm ICT by IANS
Pune, July 5 (IANS) Unidentified criminals decamped with an ATM of a public-sector bank with an estimated Rs.7.60 lakh in it, an official said Tuesday.
The incident occurred in a commercial-cum-residential complex, Plaza Building, in Purna Nagar in Chikhali area early Monday. The ATM belonged to the United Bank of India.
An estimated Rs.7,60,000 in cash in the ATM - which weighs at least 400 kg - has been listed as stolen, investigating officer B.D. Mohandhule said.
“The thieves first cut off the CCTV wires and alarm systems, and then the power supply lines to the ATM before decamping with it,” Mohandhule told IANS, adding that there are still no leads to trace it out.
Given the bulk and weight of the ATM, he said it could be the handiwork of at least five people and a medium-sized tempo could have been used in transporting it.
This is the second incident of its kind in this Maharashtra city.
On Oct 28, 2009, an ATM weighing 350 kg and containing cash of around Rs.10,50,000 was stolen from the Kasarwadi area. The ATM, contracted to Union Bank of India, itself was worth Rs.300,000.
A top official with the international contracting company, Financial Software & Systems Pvt Ltd, which had installed the ATM stolen Monday, said this is the second instance of a stolen ATM complaint received by the company in the last five years.
“It is not an easy task to carry away an ATM,” said Managed Services Centres head Manohar Bhoi, who is in-charge of all the ATM operations with different banks and financial institutions.
“However, this is happening in deserted areas of class-II cities and it is a matter of serious concern for us,” he added.
On May 14, a 500-kg ATM of the United Bank of India was stolen from Allahabad, in Uttar Pradesh.
- Over Rs.1 crore stolen from Axis Bank ATMs in Allahabad - Jul 15, 2012
- Robbers take away ATM - May 14, 2011
- Cash firm staffer held for stealing from ATMs - Sep 01, 2011
- Rs.22 lakh for Deutsche Bank ATM stolen in Noida - Jul 16, 2010
- Robbers uproot ATM - Dec 24, 2011
- Two youth held for ATM theft - Mar 06, 2011
- Noida house burgled, lakhs missing - Jul 13, 2011
- Banker nicks over $1 million in Britain - Aug 14, 2012
- Banks to be held responsible for fake notes in ATMs - Jan 27, 2012
- Rs.33 lakh looted from bank van - Mar 31, 2012
- ADB to support India's small businesses - Feb 26, 2010
- Public sector bank's non-performing assets not alarming: FM (Roundup) - Aug 18, 2012
- Thieves cart away loaded ATM in 3 minutes flat - May 26, 2010
- Pushkin Chandra killing: Life term for two upheld - Oct 31, 2011
- Srinagar gold burglary solved in a day, loot recovered - Apr 23, 2012
Tags: alarm systems, allahabad, atm, bank of india, contracting company, early monday, financial institutions, financial software systems, handiwork, lakh, maharashtra city, manohar, public sector bank, pvt ltd, systems pvt, thieves, union bank, union bank of india, united bank, united bank of india