At least ten killed in Venezuela prison revoltSeptember 1st, 2008 - 11:00 am ICT by IANS
Caracas, Sep 1 (DPA) At least ten prisoners were killed in a prison revolt in the western provincial capital of Maracaibo, media reports said Sunday.Most of the victims died when a grenade exploded amidst a clash between rival gangs in the prison Saturday, officials said.
Sixteen prisoners were injured and taken to hospital in the clashes, which included gunfire and arson.
Police and prison guards didn’t get control of the situation until Sunday. Thousands of relatives of the inmates gathered before the prison to protest conditions inside and demand information about the identity of the victims.
Venezuela has about 26,000 prisoners in 30 jails. Human rights groups criticise conditions inside. In the past year, rights activists said 498 prisoners died violent deaths behind bars.
Across Latin America, prison revolts, gang clashes and attacks on the guards as well as abuse of inmates by poorly-paid prison guards are common.
- 25 killed in brawl at Venezuelan prison (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Over 20 killed in Venezuela prison fight - Aug 21, 2012
- 16 die in Venezuela prison violence - Oct 01, 2010
- Venezuela prison brawl toll rises to 26 - Aug 24, 2012
- Venezuela doesn't believe it needs more jails - Sep 28, 2011
- Five accused of sex crimes slain in Venezuela prison - Jan 03, 2012
- Venezuelan killed by stray shot from prison - May 10, 2012
- Punjab jail riot leaves one dead - Nov 21, 2011
- Costa Rican diplomat kidnapped in Venezuela is free - Apr 11, 2012
- Inmates' relatives occupy two Venezuelan prisons - Feb 17, 2010
- Eight killed in Venezuelan prison riot - May 05, 2010
- Three killed in Venezuela prison riot - Sep 28, 2010
- Six killed in Iraq prison-break attempt - Aug 06, 2011
- 4,000 Venezuelan prisoners on hunger strike - Sep 04, 2010
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash, 11 hurt (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012