At least 55 killed in factory fire in MoroccoApril 27th, 2008 - 3:04 am ICT by admin
Casablanca, April 27 (DPA) At least 55 people were killed and 12 seriously injured when a fire broke out Saturday in a mattress manufacturing factory in an industrial estate here. The cause of the blaze, which started on the ground floor of the four-storey building, was still unclear, authorities said. Chemicals stored in the factory had caused the blaze to spread quickly.
Around 100 workers were in the building when the fire started, MAP news agency reported.
A terrorist attack has been ruled out, sources added. Islamist extremists had staged several attacks across Casablanca in the past years.
Around 100 firefighters had spent more than three hours trying to bring the fire under control and some were among the injured.
Firefighters had also said that security measures in the factory were lacking, television reports said.
King Mohammed VI has ordered an investigation into the cause of the blaze.
- 15 die in China factory fire - Aug 23, 2011
- Fire in central Delhi building, no casualty (Second Lead) - May 23, 2012
- 17 die, 24 hurt in Beijing blaze (Lead) - Apr 25, 2011
- Jalandhar factory collapse: one dead, several trapped (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Woman killed in Delhi factory fire - Jan 26, 2011
- Blaze in Delhi eatery - Oct 26, 2011
- 13 killed in Karachi factory fire - Sep 12, 2012
- Sharjah skyscraper catches fire - Apr 28, 2012
- 100 die in Pakistan as two factories go up in flames (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Chandni Chowk blaze claims one life - Nov 30, 2010
- Five killed in US fire - Jan 02, 2011
- Over 300 dead as blaze engulfs two factories in Pakistan (Night Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Medical factory gutted in Gurgaon - May 27, 2012
- Two fires break out in Kolkata, no casualties - Jun 16, 2012
- Fire rages at Chandni Chowk warehouse - Nov 29, 2010