At least 35 killed in suicide attack in Iraq (Lead)August 26th, 2008 - 7:51 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Aug 26 (DPA) At least 35 people were killed and 47 injured Tuesday in a suicide attack on a police station in Iraq’s Diyala province, medical sources and witnesses said.A suicide bomber got out of a car and detonated himself amid a crowd of volunteers who were standing in front of the police building in the town of Djalula, 60 km northeast of the Iraqi capital Baghdad, witnesses told DPA.
Seconds after the man detonated his vest, the car loaded with explosives blew up.
Ambulances were still moving the injured to hospitals, medical sources said. Most of them were in critical condition.
In a separate attack also in Diyala, four members of a family were killed and a fifth was injured when a bomb exploded near their car in the town of Balad Rus.
Diyala province, northeast of Baghdad, is considered a bastion of Al Qaeda terrorists in Iraq.
- Two US soldiers among five killed in Iraq explosion - Jun 11, 2010
- 6 killed in Iraq violence - Aug 25, 2012
- Nine wounded in Iraq bomb attacks - May 17, 2012
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- Three killed, nine injured in Iraq - Apr 30, 2012
- 10 killed in Iraq bombing - Nov 03, 2011
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
- 30 wounded in Iraq bombings - Sep 09, 2012
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- Nine killed, 21 injured in Iraq - Aug 08, 2011
- Iraq official survives bomb attack - Apr 22, 2012
- 63 killed in Iraq as violence escalates - Aug 15, 2011
- Eight killed in Iraq violence - Aug 16, 2011
- Twelve dead in two bomb blasts in northern Iraq - Apr 29, 2011
- Nine killed in Iraq attacks - Apr 19, 2012