At least 20 killed as bus falls off cliff in MexicoMay 20th, 2008 - 4:58 pm ICT by admin
Mexico City, May 20 (DPA) At least 21 people have been killed and more than 20 injured when a bus plummeted 200 meters off a mountain highway in the Mexican state of Hidalgo, the police have said. According to the provincial police, the accident occurred Monday along a winding section of the highway about 150 km north of the Mexican capital.
“The scene is devastating,” civil defence chief Miguel Garcia Conde said, adding that “rescue teams saw at least three children among the dead, but the majority are young adults”.
Reportedly, rescue efforts on the steep terrain were difficult.
Regional authorities have set the death toll as high as 27, as yet civil defence has been unable to confirm that number.
The cause of the accident still remained unknown.
- Storm kills 16 in Mexico - Jul 04, 2011
- Olympics: Mexican president lauds divers for silver medal - Jul 31, 2012
- 60 tourists trapped in cable cars in China - May 27, 2012
- Two die as chopper crashes on Mexican street - Oct 22, 2011
- Blast at Mexican gas facility kills 26, seven still missing - Sep 20, 2012
- Mexico: 14 sugarcane workers killed in Jalisco truck accident - Apr 07, 2012
- 23 die as hurricane rains hit Central America - Oct 13, 2011
- 10 farmers asphyxiated in Mexico - Mar 23, 2009
- Pilot arrested in Madrid for smuggling cocaine - Aug 24, 2011
- Avalanches in northeastern Afghanistan kill 44 - Mar 07, 2012
- 26 killed in Mexico bus accident - Jun 25, 2012
- India's first air ambulance crash kills 10, probe ordered (Roundup) - May 26, 2011
- 40 killed in Peru bus accident - Dec 25, 2009
- 27 killed, 21 injured in accidents in northeast - Jul 21, 2012
- 118 killed in Pakistan plane crash (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012