At least 12 militants killed in Afghanistan: US militaryAugust 29th, 2008 - 4:48 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Aug 29 (DPA) At least 12 Taliban militants were killed in a fight with US-led coalition forces in Paktika province of southeast Afghanistan, the US military claimed Friday.The clash took place when coalition forces Thursday started searching some houses in Bermel district of the province to flush out militant, the statement said.
The militants inside the compounds engaged the forces, the statement said, adding, “The forces responded with small-arms fire, killing the militants.”
The district is close to the border with Pakistan, and the targeted militant was responsible for the movement of foreign fighters from Pakistan into Afghanistan, it said.
The latest Taliban casualties come a day after the US military claimed their forces killed more than 100 insurgents in a four-day-operation in the volatile southern province of Helmand.
Nearly seven years after the ouster of the Taliban regime in a US-led invasion, the militants are still a force to be reckoned with.
Recently the militants have advanced towards the capital and staged attacks in and around Kabul. Southern and eastern regions are hotbeds for the Taliban-led insurgency.
More than 3,500 people - mostly insurgents - have been killed in violence in Afghanistan so far this year, according to figures provided by Afghan and foreign military sources.
- 16 killed in Afghan blast, air attack - Sep 13, 2010
- 10 militants killed in Afghanistan - Oct 31, 2010
- 61 militants killed in Afghanistan - Jul 04, 2012
- 21 militants killed, 19 held in Afghanistan - Oct 15, 2011
- 10 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 07, 2012
- 10 militants killed in Afghanistan - Aug 18, 2010
- 33 insurgents killed in Afghanistan - Aug 26, 2012
- 20 Afghan militants killed - May 28, 2012
- 11 militants killed in Afghanistan - Mar 06, 2011
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan insurgent attack - Nov 12, 2011
- Afghan, NATO soldiers among 24 killed in Afghanistan - May 09, 2010
- Afghan, NATO forces kill 80 Taliban fighters (Lead) - Jul 04, 2010
- Five US, British soldiers killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jun 10, 2010
- 20 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 24, 2012
- Over 60 militants killed in Afghanistan - Nov 09, 2011